Pm 932 Capacitor Explosion

Motor is a metric D flange mount direct drive 90S size, per the manual the capacitors are rated for an input voltage 240VAC, this issue as mentioned was the stuck centrifugal switch. Short of hunting on eBay and finding a metric single phase motor, which is very unlikely, it is doubtful you will find a replacement on someones shelf. Another individual who had a single phase RF-45 was looking to switch to a 3 phase motor, the Leeson metric flange mounts listed matched the mounting dimensions, but would need to verify the shaft size/configuration. Since the motor is still under warranty, first step would be to contact QMT and see where to go with it. Doesn't matter how good the start capacitor is, it is going to fail if centrifugal start switch does not disengage. This one went out with a bang. Electrolytic caps all have a finite lifetime, heat and age kill accelerate their demise, there are also different ratings and specs if used for DC or AC.

Oh Mark...Jay may need a bit of help with a schematic. :)

When I finally get back down there (AZ) I will show up at his door with an Adult Beverage of his choice (maybe a 15 year old single-malt?). :)

No prob Jay. :)

When I did my first machine, the lathe, I had absolutely no experience with VFDs or lathe logic circuits. So Mark was a big help there. My mill was a much simpler beastie that I managed to do myself.

Oh Mark...Jay may need a bit of help with a schematic
Already on it. He needs to give some thought to control options. The most typical would be 3 wire control, momentary On and Momentary Off buttons, use the current spindle power switch to set the direction, or just using the current For-Stop-Rev switch wired directly wired to the VFD input terminals for sustained ON controls. If the latter, would need to program the VFD to prevent an auto restart on power failure. Could also do a 3 button momentary that I have used on lathes FOR-STOP-REV buttons, but would need two relays. Not getting fancy, but it is possible use a small hall sensor to reverse direction for power tapping, my mill came with this.

Which parameter do you set for no auto restart on power failure?

After a quick and easy phone call to QMT there is a three-phase motor and VFD on its way to my house . Now the fun begins.

Jay

Ya just gotta love Matt and QMT (well I do anyway...) :D

Back