Pm 932 Capacitor Explosion

Leaning towards to three wire control with the momentary on and momentary off buttons with the current power switch to be used for forward and reverse. Just Trying to keep it simple . No need to reinvent the wheel here .

I did a very simple circuit on my mill, using a fwd/off/rev switch, 10k pot, and a e-stop. No relays. Similar to my lathe. So I was just asking Mark (sorry for the slight O.T.) which param to set to prevent a restart in the event of power failure as this could be useful.

Are you using the momentary on/off buttons as a jog or tapping feature?

Hi Bill,
So there are two different parameters that I use to address what happens in a power loss and prevent machine restart. The first is to configure an unused terminal input for the Option Code 13 which is the Unattended Start Protection (USP on page 4-25 of the manual). In my lathe builds, I have this tied into the power/control relays so the input is always on on restart/power-up. If a relay is not used, I would have it on all the time (see if this works), or it could be activated when the Forward/Reverse was ON if using a sustained direction switch and two logic diodes as shown below.

The other command parameter to change would be B050 should be set to "02", this tells the VFD that on a power loss to brake the motor to a stop using the regenerative power generated from the motor. Page 3-64 of the manual.

My mill has a separate tapping function on the spindle switch, it turns the motor speed down and uses two hall sensor to set the reverse point and also shuts the motor off after the tap. It is a BLDC, but works very similar to a VFD. It uses a monetary guarded button for on and a separate unguarded one for off. I like this arrangement. If you think you are going to do power tapping, then there are other possibilities on how to do this.

USP.jpg

Hmmm...I think I have a couple of diodes left from the lathe re-wiring. Thanks! :)

The VFD and three-phase motor have been delivered. Still waiting on a handful of other supplies for this project. Have already begun the process of figuring out where things need to go and what controls will be used . Should be an interesting project.

Jay

image.jpeg

The VFD and three-phase motor have been delivered. Still waiting on a handful of other supplies for this project. Have already begun the process of figuring out where things need to go and what controls will be used . Should be an interesting project.

Jay
Jay, I certainly look forward to seeing this project as it progresses! Please keep the updates coming!

When things finally get moving with this project I will create another thread in the PM forum to show progress of the upgrade. With that being said this is my first VFD installation of any kind so suggestions and opinions are always welcome . I have an idea in my head on what I want it to be, making it reality is something different. Planning on keeping the installation clean and simple. With guidance from other forum members that are happy to share their knowledge about VFD's, I believe this will be a smooth transition . Stay tuned.........................Jay

Jay

View attachment 127993

Those are much smaller than I had imagined. :)

That is a great VFD IMO, (I have two) and I too was surprised at how compact it is.

Back