PM 932M-PDF table and head travel distance oddity

I purchased the PM940M CNC version a few years back. Because it is the CNC it is probably different, but I can say all of my machine's distances are larger than your values listed.
X - I got 16 1/2". PM's website and the manual both say 19 1/2" with power feed (which I have) . (22 3/8" w/o power feed).
Y - I got 10 1/2". PM's website says 8", the manual says 7.9".
Z - I got 12 3/4". PM's website says 17", the manual says 13 1/2".

Anyway, Matt at PM will know exactly what you need. Also, PM sells magnetic scales which are far better than the PM940M is. He will probably be able to tell you exactly which set you would need for your machine.

before calling PM I decided to look at this again.

X - I got 16 1/2". PM's website and the manual both say 19 1/2" with power feed (which I have) . (22 3/8" w/o power feed). - I moved the X axis stops from the factory positions to get the 19 1/2" travel. they were way off but was an easy adjustment. made sure there was clearance.

Y - I got 10 1/2". PM's website says 8", the manual says 7.9". - I don't know why the discrepancy but not an issue. will lose some of this travel anyway when the scale is mounted to the back of the table.

Z - I got 12 3/4". PM's website says 17", the manual says 13 1/2". - I screwed this up. must have burned an inch with my tape measure. measured again and got 13 3/4". so I'm good with the manual but PM should correct the "Head Vertical Travel: 17″ in the description section on their website.

I should have done this before posting on here and I apologize for wasting everyone's time. will let PM know about the misprint in their description section.

Yota, you are going to love the DRO, much more efficient. I ordered my PM932 with the DRO installed. Here a few pics which might help you with the installation.

IMG_9059[1].JPGIMG_9060[1].JPGIMG_9061[1].JPG

thanks Rebel, I appreciate it. I'm actually thinking about going with those little Igaging Absolute DRO's. I'm going to also do my old South Bend lathe and the cross slide and carriage design makes it difficult so something thin and narrow is required. may just use them on the mill as well.

before calling PM I decided to look at this again.

X - I got 16 1/2". PM's website and the manual both say 19 1/2" with power feed (which I have) . (22 3/8" w/o power feed). - I moved the X axis stops from the factory positions to get the 19 1/2" travel. they were way off but was an easy adjustment. made sure there was clearance.

Y - I got 10 1/2". PM's website says 8", the manual says 7.9". - I don't know why the discrepancy but not an issue. will lose some of this travel anyway when the scale is mounted to the back of the table.

Z - I got 12 3/4". PM's website says 17", the manual says 13 1/2". - I screwed this up. must have burned an inch with my tape measure. measured again and got 13 3/4". so I'm good with the manual but PM should correct the "Head Vertical Travel: 17″ in the description section on their website.

I should have done this before posting on here and I apologize for wasting everyone's time. will let PM know about the misprint in their description section.

Having the same mill PM932MPDF, Power X, Z, i got somewhat different results

x: 21. Im quite surprised im getting more than what you or what is published.

y: 10.75 depending on how the tree easy cover collapses

z: 15.75 I stopped measuring 2 inches from the table as anymore seems useless, but one needs to remove the stop switches and relocate them along with the bottom way cover mount as they impede travel. so i dont doubt what the published spec says if you remove these.

Last edited:
Having the same mill PM932MPDF, Power X, Z, i got somewhat different results

x: 21. Im quite surprised im getting more than what you or what is published.

y: 10.75 ignoring the x axis limit switch cover in the way, i suppose the same as you if considering the switch cover.

z: 15.75 I stopped measuring 2 inches from the table as anymore seems useless, but one needs to remove the stop switches and relocate them along with the bottom way cover mount as they impede travel. so i dont doubt what the published spec says if you remove these.
on X axis, I could have gotten quite a bit more but say you turned on the power feed at high speed and got distracted. at that speed it does not slow down fast enough when it hits the limit switch and powers thru another 1 1/2 to 2 inches (the limit switch cover and spring will compress and even tilt over). if you had some work on the vice it could crash. leave yourself some room for tolerance. if you find yourself in that rare occasion where you need that travel you can move the stop for that evolution and then put it back where it was.

on X axis, I could have gotten quite a bit more but say you turned on the power feed at high speed and got distracted. at that speed it does not slow down fast enough when it hits the limit switch and powers thru another 1 1/2 to 2 inches (the limit switch cover and spring will compress and even tilt over). if you had some work on the vice it could crash. leave yourself some room for tolerance. if you find yourself in that rare occasion where you need that travel you can move the stop for that evolution and then put it back where it was.
I tested the power feed inertia, specifically the jog which is higher speed/power than the fastest power feed, and found I only need to move the limiters ⅜" on each side, that's only a ¾" overall for still 20¼ travel.

I suppose you could buffer that more fearing what a couple hundred pounds on the table would do. But I would believe the opposite is true and the table would actually slow down even faster then when empty as I tested it.

Back