PM-932m Troubleshooting Help

super_mario

Registered
Registered
Greetings,
This is my first post on this forum.
Last week I purchased used PM-932m from the local manufacturing company and after a closer inspection I determined that this machine have a problem with the gear box. When machine is running the spindle is not turning on most of the speed settings, it turns only of low speed and you can easily stop it bay grabbing the shaft with the hand. Before I start with the disassembly process I decided to check with the experienced people on this forum. If anybody has any experience with the problem like this please respond to this question.
This machine was operated by inexperienced production people, mostly for drilling and it was abused and neglected. The manufacturing date is 2018.

I am not machinist but this should be that complicated to repair.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Mario
PM-932m.jpg

keys get sheared off of shafts and hubs
gears loose teeth
belts stretch
all so is the life of a home machinist :grin:

I was suspecting sheared gears but not sure why is turning at all on some speed settings?
Thanks for response.

A sheared key could do that. Depending on what gear you are in it could take more or less friction to spin the shaft.
Did you know about the problem before you bought it?
Hopefully you have the owners manual and parts lists.
Take the gear box apart. Take photos of each step to make it easier to reassemble. Take notes as you go.
Lay the parts out on a large work surface in the order taken apart. Cardboard that you can put notes on.
Put fasteners back into the place they came out of as you go.

Tools: Use the proper tools to prevent damage. Metric tools! Brass hammer. You may need gear pullers, pin punches .... Cheaper to buy than damaging parts. Sometimes you can make a simple puller that works. If you need to press something off and don't have a press, take it someplace that has a press. Sometimes two set screws are on top of each other, check after taking the first one out. They function like double nutting.

While you've got it apart, replace bearings, use name brand bearings. Much easier now than later.

A sheared key could do that. Depending on what gear you are in it could take more or less friction to spin the shaft.
Did you know about the problem before you bought it?
Hopefully you have the owners manual and parts lists.
Take the gear box apart. Take photos of each step to make it easier to reassemble. Take notes as you go.
Lay the parts out on a large work surface in the order taken apart. Cardboard that you can put notes on.
Put fasteners back into the place they came out of as you go.

Tools: Use the proper tools to prevent damage. Metric tools! Brass hammer. You may need gear pullers, pin punches .... Cheaper to buy than damaging parts. Sometimes you can make a simple puller that works. If you need to press something off and don't have a press, take it someplace that has a press. Sometimes two set screws are on top of each other, check after taking the first one out. They function like double nutting.

While you've got it apart, replace bearings, use name brand bearings. Much easier now than later.
It looks to me that I have to open the gear box to continue. So I removed the main motor and Headstock top plate screws. Now do I lift the plate or is it somethng else to do before lifting? I tried to lift the plate but it goes up 2 mm or so and I stooped before damaging something. Perhaps that retaining ring around spindle or is it just issue of lifting this straight up?

To answer your questions, yes I did know about the problem but decided to get it anyway ($400). I think it was a good deal even if it was broken.

Thanks
PXL_20210906_000558605.jpg

It may be that the gear selectors have gotten jammed up- give the levers a good wiggle while turning the spindle by hand and see if it drops into gear
The only gear I can wiggle into is L1, L2 and sometimes L3 but when motor spins, there is no torque at all. You can stop the shaft whit your hand.
Going to open the gear box.
Thanks,

Look @ the parts diagram. It looks like there may be two locating pins. If that's what I'm seeing you will have to move the top cover straight up. The pins will be a very snug fit.

This morning I removed the box top and drained the oil. I think I located the source of the problem. It was shared key on the big gear interfacing to the motor shaft. Also, I found loose lock washer laying on the bottom of the box. Not sure where it came from but I think it was from the quill assembly, I see damage on the quill seal.
The question is how do I replace this key? This is now beyond my expertise.
PXL_20210906_155727661.jpg
PXL_20210906_154500235.jpg
Another question is what is the best way to clean the box from the oil residue and the sludge accumulated on the bottom? Can I just spray WD40 degreeser and drain it out?

PXL_20210906_154000932.jpg

Last edited:
You can use paint thinner, I like Coleman fuel (white gas) cause it evaps a bit faster- they cost about the same
You might want to go around with a magnet also to pick up metal bits
-Mark

Back