PM-932m Troubleshooting Help

If you do not figure this out, I suggest you call PM. They have some pretty good support folks about answering these sorts of questions. They helped me out.

I have the 940M CNC and sometime after I finished a heavy job (steel) where I happened to stall the motor when the machine vertical dropped and took a bigger bite than planned. I finished the work just fine. I even changed tools and made more cuts. However, after a while when I went to take the tool out the tool collet would just spin while I was holding the spline. There was a small set screw up under the collet ring that had sheared, but something was still holding everything together. Anyway, I had to go up from the bottom to get to it. To do so, required a wide spanner wrench, which I had to hobble together, to get the ring off so that I could even see the set screw. Replaced it and all worked again. I think this is different from your problem as my spline was still engaged with the gear box. Nevertheless, the machine keep running and working after the shearing event, but eventually it gave up. By the way, there were two set screws in the hole. The outer one was to hold the inner one from coming loose.

Good luck when you reassemble.

And here it is! Cut in half. It is #37 on the drawing.
I hope I do not have to change gear or shaft due to scratches.

1630966666315.png

PXL_20210906_203844902.jpg

This morning I removed the box top and drained the oil. I think I located the source of the problem. It was shared key on the big gear interfacing to the motor shaft. Also, I found loose lock washer laying on the bottom of the box. Not sure where it came from but I think it was from the quill assembly, I see damage on the quill seal.
The question is how do I replace this key? This is now beyond my expertise.
View attachment 377519View attachment 377520Another question is what is the best way to clean the box from the oil residue and the sludge accumulated on the bottom? Can I just spray WD40 degreeser and drain it out?

View attachment 377518

It looks like you have it apart. To replace you just remove the broken key pieces, file down any rough spots, and reassemble with a new key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To replace you just remove the broken key pieces, file down any rough spots, and reassemble with a new key.
It won't be like new but will likely work fine. Loctite makes something called "bearing retainer" or similar, that will take up the clearance problems of the shaft. Not like new but works until you crash the machine again.

Does anybody knows what should I use as a seal between top and bottom of the gear box?

Found this thread with complete repair process documented. Different machine but principle is the same.

Also, contacted Precision Mathews regarding parts but no response other than automated email message. Disappointing.
Not sure how those guys stay in business?

Ordered my parts from grizzly industrial.

1631278133433.png

Back