PM-940m CNC - VS Motion Controller Conversion to Centroid Acorn

RADustin

I would definitely get the PM 940 with the CNC option. While, you would likely use different/better stepper motors, the overall effort to 1) add ball screws, 2) make / buy the Stepper motor mounts, and 3) build/buy/complete the controller cabinet (wiring, PS, etc) is not a good use of your time IMO.

If you start with the PM CNC set up you will be focused on adding the Acorn board and learning who to use the stepper motors.

I found the overall PM CNC quality to be pretty good. The wiring harness (which is extensive) is well labeled and the Controller cabinet is cleanly designed and organized. The documentation is fair but with a little web searching I got the product manuals for all the key parts - Delta VSD, Leadshine Motors/Drivers, and Powersupply.

Now that mine is up and running I see zero need to replace any of the PM supplied CNC hardware - ONCE the junky Chinese Motion controller is out! Did this over the weekend with some simple g-code:

I appreciate the feedback!

The machine would be my tool and not project(well once its running well enough)- I need parts for my projects. So you're point about use-of-time is very important.

Thanks.

While I am a beginner here, so far I have found the PM 940 to be very mechanically accurate. Also highly recommend the Centroid MPG once you swap the the Acorn in....

For the fellows who have done the spindle belt drive mod. Where did you locate the pullies and belts? Thanks.

Hi Guys, Hope you are all well ! I haven't been doing much machining at all due to many things but I'm ramping up again. I just temporarily installed a cheap bore through spindle encoder ( I plan to post what I have learned wrt the spindle encoder ) and next is a power draw bar. I watched CNC4XR7's youtube video about his recent power draw bar for his machine and learned a fair bit already but unsure which cylinders to buy and if they are stackable. Hoping to get clarity on that. Doug, please get a hold of me if you have a chance, I have lost your contact info.
Cheers,

Jake

IMG_0334.jpeg

Hey Guys, sorry I wasn't getting all of the messages thru email. To answer a couple of questions:
If I was physically able, i'd build the machine using the base unit with hardened ways. There is a guy, Arizona Dave Arizonavideo99 on youtube, who makes an axis kit for the mill. He's just now starting to sell them. Also, with the Centroid controller and DMM drives/motors, I think you can setup a pretty sweet machine.

For the belt drive option, check out CNC4XR7 on you tube. He's starting to sell kits for the PM-727 and some guys are asking him about the PM-940. Sam and Wyatt are very stand up guys that do some very nice work. I had them modify a spindle bearing carrier that I got from Jake, and they did a nice job. I have still to set it up, but that should be coming.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Doug

For the fellows who have done the spindle belt drive mod. Where did you locate the pullies and belts? Thanks.

I made my own pulleys and bought my Goodyear belt on eBay.

Back