PM Bandsaws or other brands

Rifleman1384

Registered
Registered
Ok folks looking for experience and opinions. I'm kinda starting to think I HAVE to get a bandsaw. Preferably horizonal model but not liking the reviews on the HF ones, anyone have any good or bad experience on the PM or another brands/ suggestion. I have been looking for sometime locally on FB marketplace and CL with no luck everything is either a days drive or better or it looks completely worn out and missing parts for 2/3 price of a new one.
Budget around 1000.00 1500.00 would work for a good one, maybe.
Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
I'd encourage you to look for an older, used but well designed band saw if you are handy and can spend a little time on cleanup, tuning and replacing a few parts like bearing guides, etc.. Get something with as wide a blade as possible. My Ellis runs a 1" blade and cuts very very straight (and wobbly cuts seem the biggest complaint for this style of saw). We originally had an Evolution miter saw. Between the fire hose spray of molten metal in the shop, short blade life and the noise level of an F-16 at full military power - well, not a great fit for a residential (garage) shop. The bandsaw is amazing!

Last edited:
You probably don't have a Northern Tool down there but I have been keeping an eye on their 7x12 bandsaw. I have seen it on sale right at the $900 mark.
I currently have a HF 4x6 that I did some mods to and it does cut ok.
So many of these are made in the same place, you are just paying for the color of paint, although the PM has a gearbox that seems to be unique to them.
Northern tool bandsaw

My opinion is that there is a big step up in performance for the saws that have a recirculating coolant system.
I concur with 7milesup that they can come in around $900.

I found a Johnson model J for $400, put new guide bearings and a blade on it. Just adjusted and tweaked it. I use it ALL the time and just last week put the second blade on it after 4 years.

I know it blows your budget, but I highly recommend an Ellis. I recently bought one after fighting a nicer import for over ten years. I got the import saw cutting well enough. At its best it never cut as well as the first cut on the Ellis.

I have the 7x12 saw from Harbor Freight. Bought it in 2004 and it has been going strong. Made in Taiwan. Not sure the quality of todays saw.

Back