PM Mill Accessories

I just realized the Easson 8 is two axis' (sp?).
The PM 3 axis DRO sure looks like a lot of features. "bolt-hole patterns, Radius, Line Hole, Subdatums, Tool-offsets and even inclined machining function". The Easson 12 is $250 more.

So is the Eason ES8 different from the ES8A? I have the ES8A and it is a 3-axis and it does have the bolt-hole pattern feature as well as tool offsets. I didn't step up to the 12 because the 8A had many of the same features, just not a nice touch-screen display but I have really liked my ES8A for the nearly 4 years I have owned it on my mill.

Mike

I copied and pasted the dro you have and and it came up as two axis. But then I watched your video and see it us a three axis.

They all work, just a matter of how and how long. Most electronic stuff works or dies in short order, then usually works for some time after that until something breaks or fails. Cheaper units often scrimp on parts and design, but work (at least for a while, and the company/vendor will probably be out of business anyway if you need repair, so disposable as so many things are these days). To say one DRO is equivalent to another, well what is the comparison level and the parameters you are measuring. If you are just looking a numbers, than they all (for the most part) will give equivalent reliable results given the same stated resolution. Features, functions and support will vary. "Better" DRO have longer warranties, and the scales are more likely to last longer. If you want the cheapest possible than get an Aliexpress special, if you want middle of the road get an Easson 12B/C, If you want a Cadillac then go with an Acurite, Newall, etc.

As I outolined, look at what others have purchased for their machine and their comments, I think you will find that the ES-12B is the most commonly installed DRO on the PM mills. I have had the Acurite VUE, Eason ES-12 and the EL700 and routinely used all the functions and wanted something that was user friendly and reliable. They have all performed well with no issues. It is all about the interface and the user frustration, but if you are just looking at just numbers, go with the PM 3 axis.

You still use your EL700? I love mine. Especially now that I've gotten the hang of using the digital probe. :)

Yes, the EL700 works very well. I especially like the the bright display and use the summation of the knee and the quill. The reason why I suggest a graphic display and soft keys, is I find it much easier to use the other functions like bolt holes or linear hole functions. On the EL700 the soft keys change for each menu/screen and also the information screens. They also simultaneously give other information like axis travel rates such as IPM. My Acurite also had a lot of other machining information in the menus. The 3 axis ES-8 is about the same cost as the newer ES-12B, the older ES-12 was more expensive at the time. Easson are nice units along with the Electronica at a mid price point, it is one thing to look at the features but it is another use them. But if just looking at the numbers they all will work.

The quill scale: can that be added, or do you have to buy the display already configured for the fourth-axis?

Hi Bill,
My EL700 is a 4 axis model (so specific to the version ordered), I wanted the ability to sum the knee and the quill. I modified the quill stop for both the scale reader head and auto start/reverse functions that integrates with the VFD control system. The ease of install of the magnetic scale on the quill was one reason why I went with EL700 in addition to the display clarity/functions. If I was going to go with a 3 axis with a battery operated quill DRO, I would have gone with the Easson ES12B. I have an older ES12 on my lathe and it has performed great, no bouncing digits or problems with electrical noise, it has been very accurate. Also the Electronica DROs have worked great, another forum memeber (Firestopper) just installed the EL700 on his lathe and really likes it.

4 axis
20161023_093354.jpg

Summed axis.
20180305_142726.jpg

Quill mount of reader head/scale and proximity sensors for quill position. My goal was to not have the scale interfere with any of the mill head functions. The position of the quill stops triggers the auto-reverse when in threading mode.
Headstock Mount 1.jpg
20161023_093631.jpg

Mark, how are the DRO PRO folks to deal with, since they are in the neighborhood and how does the EL 700 compare to the Easson ES12B on ease of use and functionality?

DRO Pros are great worth stopping in or talking to them. The ES12B would be what I recommend for the most bang for the cost on a graphical display. It is only a 3 axis DRO. Both have very user friendly layouts and menus. The EL700 comes in a 4 axis and mag. scales which is what I was looking for. I prefer the membrane switchs on the Easson. EL700 is touch so sometimes does not like greasy fingers and cannot use a cover. It has a great display.

I've had 4 dros from Dro Pros and have always gotten great customer service from them when I needed it, although that didn't happen too often.

I'll second Mark's comments about the EL700's dislike for greasy fingers. So I keep a rag in my right pocket just to wipe the oil off my hand when things get a little too slippery.

Mark: I've never had any issues with bouncing digits or noise with any of my DROs from Dro Pros (I've had four). I think I vaguely remember seeing the four-axis EL700 when I was shopping for the DRO for my 935, but probably hesitated because of the price. Truth be told, I get more/better use out of the digital probe than I would with a summing scale on the quill. I will probably put a digital scale on there one of these days.

Last edited:
Back