PM1030V fuse question

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I popped the main fuse on my 1030V lathe yesterday trying to cut 6061 aluminum and be aggressive enough to break the chip. Who knew 0.05" and 0.01" feed was too much? It was breaking a chip but not for long.

The fuse I pulled out was a F10AL250V. The owners manual calls for a 15 amp fuse. I ordered more 10 amp fuses but I can't help but wonder which is right.

PM tech support wasn't sure.....lol

If a 10 amp fuse brings it back to life then my feeling is they (somebody) just sized it too small. I would put in a 15 amp.
Can the machine be wired for 240 volts?
-Mark
Edit: I revised my reply- see below

Last edited:
If a 10 amp fuse brings it back to life then my feeling is they (somebody) just sized it too small. I would put in a 15 amp.
Can the machine be wired for 240 volts?
-Mark

No. The 1030v is a continuously variable speed brushless DC motor with speed control.

A 10 amp fuse works but I am wondering what fuse I can use without damaging my speed control and motor.

I think the control board must be mis-adjusted, or 15 amp fuse is the correct size. Those lathes have a 1HP motor. You should be able to easily take 0.050 cut in aluminum without stalling or blowing a fuse. Heck, I have a 1/2 HP brushed dc motor on my little Atlas and I can take cuts like that. I would call PM, ask them if they can provide any technical info on the controller board and where the current limit and/or torque compensation adjustments are and how to set them
-Mark

Last edited:
I think the control board must be mis-adjusted, or 15 amp fuse is the correct size. Those lathes have a 1HP motor. You should be able to easily take 0.050 cut in aluminum without stalling or blowing a fuse. Heck, I have a 1/2 HP brushed dc motor on my little Atlas and I can take cuts like that. I would call PM, ask them if they can provide any technical info on the controller board and where the current limit and/or torque compensation adjustments are and how to set them
-Mark

6" diameter is the main issue here. My head is belt drive and not a geared head. It is asking a lot from this lathe.

Ah I see. Did you say taking 0.010 cuts was also giving trouble? Or did you mean 0.10 ?
-M

OK, understood. I have to admit I'm a bit undecided on how to advise you. It seems like a 10 amp fuse is not giving the full power the motor is capable of, but we don't want to damage your controller board by going too big on the fuse size. I would say 12 amp absolute max unless PM says otherwise
I'm wondering how hot the controller board heatsink is getting just before the fuse blows?
-Mark

Back