pm1236 assembly question

Stonebriar

Rick
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am finally assembling my 1236 lathe and of course there are no instructions. Does anyone know where this washer goes? I would hate to get it all together and need to disassemble again. Thanks.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Confused... Where was this washer found in the packaging? I know of no assembly required for the 1236 that requires that washer. Matter of fact, all you need to do is assemble the base, splash shield put a plug that fits your 220 receptacle and it's ready for alignment and use. Only thought I have is they threw-in an extra washer for the drain plug.

I'm stumped otherwise.

Ray

It was in the tool box with the tools and nuts and bolts.

It's not a part of the working mechanism lathe. It looks like a brass/bronze washer in the picture and all I can think is it's an extra drain plug gasket/washer. Those little took kits are not provided by the factory that makes the lathes. They are second-sourced by another company working for the factory.

Ray

I could be wrong but that washer doesn't look like brass or bronze to me. Also looks too small for a drain plug washer, those have a larger inside diameter and aren't as wide (face), they're usually copper or aluminum.

Are all the washers used for the bolts that fasten the lathe to the base accounted for? That looks more of that size & it's not uncommon for a different or stray washer to have been thrown in the box. I don't recall having one those color washers but I do recall having extra hardware, same for my mill.

Speaking of the base, if you haven't assembled it yet, it's best to apply some sealant like RTV silicone between the base, chip pan, & lathe before assembling as well as on the bolt threads

There are 2 types of foot brake pedal linkages, I have the 1 piece type and the 2 piece type seems to be more common. Not sure if the 2 piece type uses a washer like that somewhere.

Thanks guys. I think it was just extra.
Maybe it went inside the lathe head with the gears. haha. Hope not.
Thanks for the suggestion on the sealant.

Buy the way I stole your idea to mix 4 mason mounts and 4 solid mounts.

Rick

Thanks Ray,

I wasn't serious on the washer and motor.. Just a joke if anyone wasn't reading carefully. Don't worry PM isn't going to let something like that happen.

I have all of your links downloaded and printed. It is invaluable information.

Darkzero's threads his PM equipment also.

To anyone thinking of purchasing PM equipment, the resources available on this site for support is a tremendous help if you have questions.

Thanks everyone,

Rick

Rick

When I was taking Auto shop,,A LONG time ago,l

We used to throw an extra handful of nuts bolts and WASHERS into the coffee cans
our shop teacher used to keep fasteners in for each of the separate assemblys(sp)
He eventually would pitch a fit, We thought it was real funny.

maybe someone is jerking your chain?:think1:

I made good progress today. It is on the stand.

Ok what is this and where does it go?

photo 1.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Also there is a hole in the pan by the drain, what is that for?

photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG

Back