PM1236 setup quesiton and pics of my first cuts

What about these?

80447700.jpg

:biggrin:

80447700.jpg

Congrats on the new machine and thanks for sharing the pictures of your progress with us.

It is a great sense of accomplishment when you see a progression of your abilities and see immediately a difference when trying various settings and/or techniques.

I am 100% self taught and I will admit as well, when you first get making chips it is a fantastic feeling. The parts start coming out better and better with more and more practice. Both trying new techniques based on experience and/or common sense as well as trying things that you have read about will continually net improved results.

Machining is definitely a never ending learning experience which is one of the things I love about it.

Mike.

Dammit, I knew I should have cropped my feet out of that photo.smiley_abused.gif Actually they weren't flip flops, they were..uh...I..uh..painted them on my boots so I wouldn't look weird when I wear em at the beach..yeah.

Seriously though, I actually did not run the machine at all yesterday. I was busy doing homework (physics, so it was actually pretty fun), and went out to re-set up the level like a did a few days before so I could take some pics to post. My working-in-the-shop attire consists of: Steel toed leather boots, blue jeans, a tshirt that fits properly and is tucked in, no jewelery (never wear any, anyway), full face shield and glasses (Uvex, do like!), and hearing protection...and definitely no gloves!

I would never wear flip flops when working in the shop.

I think I see the source of my confusion about the 2 collar test. I have only seen the 2 collar test to align the tailstock by turning between centers. I did not know the same test should be performed with just a chuck in order to detect spindle to bed alignment.

It makes a lot more sense now.

I have that 6" piece of 3" dia aluminum round that I had gotten to practice with. Is it long enough or should I get one that will stick out 8" past the chuck jaws? Maybe I should get another bar anyway..it will give me an excuse to root through my supplier's scrap bins again.

It will probably be this weekend before I can get back to it. The Mrs has classes in the afternoon, and I promised her I would not use any power tools when I am here by myself.

I want to thank yall for the compliments on my turnings. I would have had a difficult time getting this far without yall's help and this site. All yall have helped me a lot more than yall probably realize and I really appreciate it! :drink:

smiley_abused.gif

Dammit, I knew I should have cropped my feet out of that photo.View attachment 80685 Actually they weren't flip flops, they were..uh...I..uh..painted them on my boots so I wouldn't look weird when I wear em at the beach..yeah.

Seriously though, I actually did not run the machine at all yesterday. I was busy doing homework (physics, so it was actually pretty fun), and went out to re-set up the level like a did a few days before so I could take some pics to post. My working-in-the-shop attire consists of: Steel toed leather boots, blue jeans, a tshirt that fits properly and is tucked in, no jewelery (never wear any, anyway), full face shield and glasses (Uvex, do like!), and hearing protection...and definitely no gloves!

I would never wear flip flops when working in the shop.

I think I see the source of my confusion about the 2 collar test. I have only seen the 2 collar test to align the tailstock by turning between centers. I did not know the same test should be performed with just a chuck in order to detect spindle to bed alignment.

It makes a lot more sense now.

I have that 6" piece of 3" dia aluminum round that I had gotten to practice with. Is it long enough or should I get one that will stick out 8" past the chuck jaws? Maybe I should get another bar anyway..it will give me an excuse to root through my supplier's scrap bins again.

It will probably be this weekend before I can get back to it. The Mrs has classes in the afternoon, and I promised her I would not use any power tools when I am here by myself.

I want to thank yall for the compliments on my turnings. I would have had a difficult time getting this far without yall's help and this site. All yall have helped me a lot more than yall probably realize and I really appreciate it! :drink:

Hey there Morgan...

The 6" piece will be a fine start. You need something that approximates these dimensions -that is, stubby. If you use a thin shaft, it bends under pressure and is more likely to chatter like crazy. Ideally, you'd try to get about 6-7" between the two rings -and of course, enough material on the lead section for the vise to grip properly. It makes no difference if your vise doesn't hold things straight. Make passes until it cuts all the way around on both rings.

As a lead-up to this, you might try the "Rollie" method first. It will get you in the ballpark before doing the 2-Collar test.

2Collar.jpg

You promised your wife what???? Ok, maybe for a little while but see if you can get an attorney and re-negotiate that one.

Ray

2Collar.jpg

Power tools are to make power: your tools are to make chips :biggrin:
Maybe your wife would be happier if you spend your afternoons playing with your lathe rather than talking with the blonde girl at the drugstore…
Suggest her you'll install a webcam into your shop, so she can take an eye on what you're doing (and she can call the 911 if someone try to steal the lathe while you are at the drugstore).

Marco, you trying to get me killed? If I was talking to some blonde at the drugstore, frankly it would be much safer for me to put on some big fuzzy mittens and go play with my lathe....in traffic!

I just could not leave well enough alone during the week, and decided to play around with some shimming and the level to see what would happen. I took apart a feeler gauge and took turns loosening the stand bolts, inserting a leaf or 2 between the stand and the base, tightening the bolts and checking the level again. I put the shims right by the bolts that secure the stand to the base. I did this several times until I got the level reading pretty close to the same on both ends of the bed. (not exactly the same, because it was damn hot and I gave up after about an hour).

Yesterday, per yall's suggestions, I did the Rollie's Dad's Method with a 2" dia Al bar 12" long and the collars about 9.5" apart. When I made my test cuts, I used the slowest RPM and the finest feed available. I cut the collars with 0.002" and then 0.001" and finally a skim cut (or whatever its called when you dont advance the tool in order to correct for flexing). I measured with my cheap HFT dial indicator mounted in my tool post, a Chinese DTI on one of those snake like flexible stands attached to my cross slide, and also with an American dial indicator (from a company called Standard Gage Co. out of NY) that a retired machinist gave me. It is old, but seems nice and smooth in operation. I read the indicators as best I could, and maybe I should not have, but if the needle fell between 2 marks, I used figures based on which quarter the needle was in (I added a 0.00025 if it was in the first quarter past a mark, 0.0005 if it was close to halfway between, etc).

According to my readings and calculations:
HFT says the difference in collars is 0.00122"
Standard says 0.00015"
Chinese DTI says 0.0011"

I decided to repeat the measurements with the Standard just to see what I got. I read the dial very carefully, tried to rotate my spindle as smoothly as possible and the new measurements came out to exactly what I got the first time.

The machine seems pretty dang close, or I am doing it wrong. I want to go out do the 2 collar test, but it is 100 deg today (that 38 deg for Marco) so it may have to wait until tonight.

What do yall think? Im I doing it wrong? Is that close enough or should I keep going? I can post some pics if yall need to see the setup. Thanks for the help!

I just wanted to add that this whole process is pretty dang fun and very educational.

Marco, you trying to get me killed? If I was talking to some blonde at the drugstore, frankly it would be much safer for me to put on some big fuzzy mittens and go play with my lathe....in traffic!

May I suggest you to use a uniform instead?
Maybe like that of the Greek Evzones officials:

450px-Greek_guard_uniforms_1.jpg

(OSHA rules must be pretty relaxed, in Greece…)

450px-Greek_guard_uniforms_1.jpg

I'm not particularly up on seeing up lathes, but I would have thought that a micrometer in the right range would give you the most accurate reading, independent of anything going on with you apron/ cross slide. Sounds like you got it dialed in nicely though!

guess I'm in trouble ( but not) after the floor was poured the lathes were plunked there that was 48 yrs ago they work 5 days a week. No levels I'm saying , these machines are heavy big boys. so I'm just a sayin

samuel

Back