PM1340 - the Best & Jacobs Full Custom Edition

Way too clean and there is way too much exposed floor.....................................

Wow, just ran across this thread. What a nice machine, that's a LOT of work put into the build! :)

You’re killing me. I wish I had the time/resources/skills to do all that!!! That’s a nice mill.

If I didn’t have to have my machines in the basement I would have gotten that one. But getting that much to my basement just isn’t feasible. I had to settle for the PM-30MV. Got the 1340gt down there though. Someday I’ll upgrade the mill but for now the 30 does everything I need it to.

Yeah, that just makes me duel.
The professional looking upgrades is something we can only dream of. Imho
David, the art of mounting and adjusting the power drives is an art.
Mine are a mess and I have no idea how to fix them.

You might enjoy this link. LOL
Hello David,

I have a question regarding the oil drain plug for the head on the PM1340. What type of thread is it? Did you have to drill and re-tap for a standard fitting when you made your oil drain system? I think this modification is very useful and I am about to do it on mine. I am also installing a one-shot oiler for the QC gearbox. I was also thinking of running an oil line to the 40T gear right at the input of the QC gearbox. This is the one that makes a "clanky" sound as it turns. I noticed a bit of oil makes it really quiet.

Also, my QC gearbox vibrates a bit at low gear ratios. Seems to go into a low frequency oscillation at it turns but only at low gear ratio. I am not sure if this is just a break-in issue or a bigger problem. I will take a look tomorrow, but was wondering if you have ever experienced anything like that on yours.

Thanks,

Salah Zenieh

Salah,

I have not had problems with vibration. I attribute this to the design of the stand I developed, and the fact that I replaced the factory motor with a Baldor 3-phase vector-rated alternative driven by a VFD.

The oil drain plug on the 1340 is 1/4" NPT. Here are some photos of the quick-change plumbing I came up with to make it easy to change oil regularly.

IMG_6352.jpeg

IMG_6357.jpeg

IMG_6365 (1).jpeg

Hope this helps.

Hello David,

I have a question regarding the oil drain plug for the head on the PM1340. What type of thread is it? Did you have to drill and re-tap for a standard fitting when you made your oil drain system? I think this modification is very useful and I am about to do it on mine. I am also installing a one-shot oiler for the QC gearbox. I was also thinking of running an oil line to the 40T gear right at the input of the QC gearbox. This is the one that makes a "clanky" sound as it turns. I noticed a bit of oil makes it really quiet.

Also, my QC gearbox vibrates a bit at low gear ratios. Seems to go into a low frequency oscillation at it turns but only at low gear ratio. I am not sure if this is just a break-in issue or a bigger problem. I will take a look tomorrow, but was wondering if you have ever experienced anything like that on yours.

Thanks,

Salah Zenieh
One thing additional that might help. See the attached. This is what inspired me to do the single-shot oiler.

Attachments

• New Message.pdf
    509.3 KB · Views: 155
Salah,

I have not had problems with vibration. I attribute this to the design of the stand I developed, and the fact that I replaced the factory motor with a Baldor 3-phase vector-rated alternative driven by a VFD.

The oil drain plug on the 1340 is 1/4" NPT. Here are some photos of the quick-change plumbing I came up with to make it easy to change oil regularly.

View attachment 343430

View attachment 343431
View attachment 343432

Hope this helps.
Thank you- helps a lot. I will take a note of your second message also as I look into the vibration problem.

Back