PM1340 - the Best & Jacobs Full Custom Edition

Thanks David. I’ve played around a little with Fusions drawings capabilities, but since I’ve primarily been solid modelling, turning the models into drawings isn’t something I’ve found limiting (yet...).

I like to use color to clarify different components, and I like to be able to change line widths, arrowhead styles, size of text on the dimensions and add various annotations. To me, those finer details are what set good drawings apart, and just a few of the things missing in F360 drawing capabilities. My main business is interior design and remodeling, so I also need my CAD package to create conventional architectural drawings. The learning curve to profenciency on any good CAD package is steep enough that I want to limit the number of CAD tools I have to learn. Two is quite enough. And now that I have 20+ years of CAD drawing on my computer, I'm hostage to the CAD package used to create them. LOL Pick your CAD package wisely because you'll be in bed with it for years to come.

... I'm hostage to the CAD package used to create them. LOL Pick your CAD package wisely because you'll be in bed with it for years to come.
I definitely agree with you. I used 2D AutoCAD for maybe 10 years and became quite proficient with it. Fusion360 was a huge change, going from 2D line drawings to 3D solid modelling. Now that I’m largely used to it I enjoy solid modelling immensely. I still get Fusions and AutoCAD’s delete key confused though...

I like to use color to clarify different components, and I like to be able to change line widths, arrowhead styles, size of text
Fusion is very limited in this respect. I do love how easy it is to put in an isometric view in Fusion, they convey so much information.

David, I saw this wrench in your tool holder, is that for the Dorian Tool QCTP?

31742190391_a7d5839ae6_c.jpg

What size 25mm or 1" and where did you get it?

David.

Are you are referring to the box-end wrench, that came with my Dorian Starter Kit? I do NOT recommend that starter kit, but I am delighted with the Dorian wedge-type tool post. I have no idea if that wrench comes with the tool post when purchased separately, but it's not worth buying the starter kit to get it if it doesn't. Dorian does a terrible job telling you "what's in the box." with all of their gear, so I recommend you call them to clarify. The wrench is 1-1/16" and is made by Martin - who I know as a spanner wrench maker. Below is a close-up photo.

IMG_2203.jpg

Looks like you can buy that wrench separately HERE.

I don't use it much anymore because I have my Dorian QCTP mounted on a solid tool base rather than the cross slide and it's locked into position from rotating under load. All that solid tool post dialog is covered at this LINK.

Complete build on the solid tool post is HERE.

Hope this helps.

Are you are referring to the box-end wrench, that came with my Dorian Starter Kit? I do NOT recommend that starter kit, but I am delighted with the Dorian wedge-type tool post. I have no idea if that wrench comes with the tool post when purchased separately, but it's not worth buying the starter kit to get it if it doesn't. Dorian does a terrible job telling you "what's in the box." with all of their gear, so I recommend you call them to clarify. The wrench is 1-1/16" and is made by Martin - who I know as a spanner wrench maker. Below is a close-up photo.

View attachment 324132

Looks like you can buy that wrench separately HERE.

I don't use it much anymore because I have my Dorian QCTP mounted on a solid tool base rather than the cross slide and it's locked into position from rotating under load. All that solid tool post dialog is covered at this LINK.

Complete build on the solid tool post is HERE.

Hope this helps.

David, thanks for the detailed and speedy response, didn't know about Martin Wrenches or that tool vendor, so I'll check them out.

I actually have the Aloris QCTP which I ordered with the lathe from QMT, so far very impressed with it, silky smooth and the Aloris BXA holders I got feel very solid and fit perfectly. (unlike some china 250-202's holders I bought locally here that don't even fit without additional machining.)

I've been using an import 1" combination wrench which feels too long and is a bit sloppy, so I was looking for something like you have there.

The 25mm might be a better fit but it seems these types of wrenches (spanners) only come in Imperial sizes.

Thanks again for all your info, it's always very interesting and educational to read your posts.

David.

David,
I haven't been here in quite a while but I'm glad I checked your thread for updates. I've been wishing I had a better solution for the Aloris quick change tool post wrench than the long one I've been using. I'll have to order one of the Martin ones like yours but in 1". Here's the link

As to the vibration I saw when I first got my 1340GT I noticed yesterday that it seems to have gone away. I've played with different belts and pulleys so that might have been what did it or just had to "run in" for a while, who knows? I'm still happy with the stand I designed, it suits my needs. I also built a table with a 44" HF box built in that resides opposite the lathe. That work surface has been great when working on lathe projects, I just have to keep at it as to not allowing it to turn into a catch all surface. It's a never ending battle. LOL
P1040958 (Medium).JPG
P1040957 (Medium).JPG

You guys seriously need to stop posting about your upgrades. Just when I thought I was happy to have my 1340GT I see yours and feel like I have a toy again!! Nice machine!!

Back