PM1340GT Lubrication Manifold for Quick Change Gearbox

szenieh

Registered
Registered
Greetings,

I have finished the lubrication manifold for my PM1340 Lathe. Below are some photos for those that might be interested.

IMG_9644.jpg
IMG_9645.JPEG
IMG_9659.JPEG

I drilled and tapped 8-32 holes into the brass manifold. The polyurethane tubing (4mm-5/32") self-screws into these holes. I used a heat gun to shape the tubes into the bends I needed for each station.

IMG_9634.JPEG

I am using a KBC tools one-shot oiler. I wanted to go to 1/8"-NPT PTC fittings. When I drilled the fitting that I removed from the oiler for 1/8"-NPT the wall became too thin and the fitting broke as I tightened it back into the body of the oiler. So, I made 2 new fittings from brass. Note that these fittings had a one-way valve (a steel ball with a spring) that came out during the drilling. I had already planned on a one-way valve in-line anyways, so that did not matter.

IMG_9684.JPEG

Here's a short clip of the manifold squirting oil on top of the gearbox.

The oiler had two outputs. I used one to feed two lines to oil the gears in the back of the lathe. The other output is dedicated to the manifold. See photo below.

IMG_9706.JPEG

Here you see the tubes going to the gear train in the back of the lathe. There are two flow control valves for each line as well as two one-way valves.

IMG_9702.JPEG
IMG_9707.JPEG

Here's a photo with the cover on.

IMG_9709.JPEG

Hope this helps someone.

Salah

Last edited:
Will the belt need protection from oil spatter?
So far, the splatter is little and directed away from the belt when running the lathe in forward. If one runs it in reverse, I think there will be some splatter hitting the outside of the belt. The system only squirts few drops- I open the flow control valve 1/8th turn and that's enough for both lines. The upper line takes a bit longer to get oil feed as it is further away which calls for a "metering" solution. I'm planning a brass orifice for the lower line which should slow the flow down for that line until oil reaches the upper feed. This is experimental as I did not like grease- it was more messy.

Last edited:
Nice job and well thought out! But, the manufacturer recommends NLGI #2 grease for the external change gears. I think you are going to get a lot of sling off oil. I do like your approach to the manifold oiling.

Nice job and well thought out! But, the manufacturer recommends NLGI #2 grease for the external change gears. I think you are going to get a lot of sling off oil. I do like your approach to the manifold oiling.
I am watching the splatter and will go back to grease if it gets excessive. So far, it's not messier than the grease. It does quiet the gear noise down a lot. I was considering a delrin gear for the 40-teeth input to the gearbox- someone had made a gear like that.; but it was expensive. I may eventually make my own.

Here's a photo and a short video on the 1/4" through hole drilled through the 3/4" 360 brass. The hole is 8 1/2" long. I drilled it from both ends meeting in the middle.

IMG_9607.JPEG

Back