PM1340GT Solid Tool Post Riser

Great surface finish on the contour. Curious what you used for your steps in the Z-axis. Or did you use a tapered end mill? Must have taken a few minutes (hours?) to do so fine of steps to get that finish. Looks like you might be onto a niche business!

Bruce

Thanks. I used the ramp toolpath in fusion and a 10 thou step down. Machining time on that toolpath says 59 mins but I vaguely remember it only taking about 45-50 minutes for some reason.

I wouldn't mind making a few for people but things like this usually take more time than someone would want to pay for. For me on my own projects time is free haha.

nice - very nice work!!

Nice job on the modelling. I hear you on the convenience of a decent VMC. I've been playing with a comparable Bridgeport offering for a few years, and for me it is a game changer as far as milling goes (not that I'm about to be getting rid of the manual mills) - it opens up some great options. A CNC lathe would be fun to play with, but I've never felt there was a lathe project I couldn't handle because it wasn't CNC.

I still have not sorted out the solid modelling and generating tool paths (worked through Titan's 1M and 2M tutorials but there isn't a good DX32 post processor). Straight up G coding works pretty good ("on my own projects time is free" - that's the way it works around here too).

Thank you for sharing, the solid tool post riser looks great.

I wouldn't mind making a few for people but things like this usually take more time than someone would want to pay for. For me on my own projects time is free haha.

Simplify the design. That should be your mantra. Simplify the design. Simplify the design. Simplify the design.

Get rid of all of that 3D profiling. Make it have a simple flat step that is the same height as the top of the bolt heads. Mine is like that and it doesn't collet that many chips. If you used longer bolts you wouldn't need to machine away so much material there anyway.

Use a grade 8 bolt or stud instead of that turned stud and nut.

Optimize every operation.

Then set it up so you can run them when the machine is just idling anyway. Load one up in the vise anytime your machine is just sitting there idling. Make a couple and throw them on eBay (or here in the classifieds). I'd be willing to bet you could sell them at at a 50% margin.

I've made a lot of money that way while I'm eating my breakfast, watching TV, etc.

Good call on making them simpler. I just did the 3d profiling on mine for fun, and well, it was for me. I do think that is kind of nice looking tho...

Great job. Love the curved contoured edges. Not having a CNC, I couldn't quite get to that aspect, but since I added a solid tool post mount to my PM1340, I haven't had it off for compound use in 2+ years. Adds significantly to the rigidity. Here is my effort on this, including how I staked the solid tool post for re-registration when it's take off and put back on. I pinned an L-shaped registration ledge to the top of the sold tool post mount. Have a look here.

Very nice, David. Yours, among other were my inspiration in making this one. Thanks for sharing.

Back