PM1440GT

That is horrible engineering. Cost cutting to the point that only that size motor will fit a 14" lathe would be a deal breaker for me. I often wonder if the effort of rehabbing old machines is worth it, but then I see stuff like this. I'd source the motor from PM or live with what is there and chalk it up to a lesson in life. I've made lots of those too. Dave

IMHO Can't fathom why a suitable motor mount cannot be fabricated and retrofitted with compatible pulley and appropriate belt length, and any size motor desired be fitted. These machines are like 1/10 the price of top of the line American or British made equipment and seem quite capable on their own. What I like about these Asian machines, is that they provide an excellent baseline machine at a great price-point and lend themselves to all sorts of tweaking and upgrading by the end-user.

Last edited:
Sorry for the rant. One of my peeves over the years is how machines have turned to small frame higher HP motors to shrink and lighten machines. 100L 7.5-10 hp motors are common and i even have a wood shaper with a 10 hp 2 pole 90L motor. Wonderful machine but it will cost a bunch to replace that motor. I've been a bean counter for 50 years and the cost to allow a couple extra inches of clearance might add $500 to a 1440 but even an accountant should be able to sell the benefits to a buyer. The length appears to be the issue here as the pulleys in the headstock would have to be extended. That Marathon motor is a beauty but there should be more choices. Dave

Mark and Jay walked me thru the whole process changing my 3Ø PM1440GT to a VFD. I believe Mark referenced it earlier in this thread. I did mine a few years back while I still had two brain cells to rub together to make heat. If I can do it most people with a little understanding of basic voltage can also.

Mine started as a 3HP 3Ø unit and the motor has been more than adequate for my needs. The only thing about doing what some of us have done is it is not cheap, but I have full use of all safety devises and upgraded some. (Don't forget the Toggle Jog feature it is my favorite feature, right behind variable RPM.)

I just mounted my new PM 5C chuck on it today.

Been a while guys glad to see your still here to help the masses.

Back