PM1440TV V Ways

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Working on the lathe this morning noticed the shine on the front V way. I wiped off the oil as I thought it was just oil. No, it is actually a shine.

In turned around and look at the old baby Jet, 90s vintage 1024. I don't see any obvious shine, streak on it.

Don't know if I should be worried about the new lathe, don't really know it is an issue or not.

Yes, the PM1440TV is well oiled. One thing I know for sure, I am replacing those rubber way wipers on the PM1440TV.

20200322_135141.jpg
20200322_135116.jpg

It could be that the underside of the carriage was not very well scraped in and is bearing heavily on a small area of surface. If it were mine, I'd take the carriage apart and have a look and possibly re scrape it to bear more evenly.

My PM1236 did that too. I figured it was the rubber wipers which I replaced with felt. I hope it's not the carriage cause I don't know anything about scraping.

It is amazing that a 90s vintage lathe is pretty much intact, the PM1440TV is just but a couple of weeks.

My PM1236 did that too. I figured it was the rubber wipers which I replaced with felt. I hope it's not the carriage cause I don't know anything about scraping.

Will,

Do you have a source for good belt?

Nez

It could be that the underside of the carriage was not very well scraped in and is bearing heavily on a small area of surface. If it were mine, I'd take the carriage apart and have a look and possibly re scrape it to bear more evenly.

That is a scary thought. I am with Will, I have no idea about scrapping, nor the eyes to ascertain anything related to scrapping?

Noticed where the shine ends? At the transition of the gap bed. Looking like the gap bed may even be lower

Nez

I agree with John. Something is making those marks and if has only taken a few weeks to make those marks then imagine what will happen over time. I would remove the saddle and have a look because something is rubbing. I can't imagine rubber way wipers doing that but I would switch to felt as Will did if that is a concern.

Will,

Do you have a source for good belt?

Nez

I first bought a sheet from Mcmaster. Later I bought a roll in the width I need which makes them easier to cut to size from Zoro.

I wouldn't worry about it. Notice the lay lines in metal, those are ridges left in the surface from the grinding process, also present and visible in the second lathe only those have the tops of those miniature ridges worn flat to a higher luster. The difference in height is sup thousands, and once a greater surface area is exposed the wear will slow down.

Try stoning the surface where the tail stock rides up near the head stock. You will quickly see the surface texture change.

Taking it apart won't hurt, may as well stone the surface to advance the process to where the whole surface is even. Clean all an the dust with solvent and a cloth, before oiling and readjusting the gibs.

Nez, for what it's worth, mine did not do it right away. I did not notice it on mine until maybe a yr or 2 later or so. Which is why I figured it was the rubber wiper getting hard or something. I guess unlikely but I never liked how the rubber wipers worked anyway.

Maybe try asking Matt if he's seen this before?

Another thought is I would tend to forget to unlock my carraige & move it. I did this a lot on early on. But my lock is on the right side of the carriage, I would think if that was the cause I'd see it more on the right end of the bed not the left.

Back