PM1440TV V Ways

You can get some high spots that will get a bit polished, the bed is induction hardened, so I would expect the carriage to seat in from the scrapping. This is my 1340GT after several years, you can see some spots where the bed was a bit more polished. I have been using Vaculoine 1409 and added felt wipers behind the rubber that I also would apply oil to. Your jet ways looks likethey have been worn smooth, there is a small amount of the original grinding marks at the edges of the way.

20180731_180622.jpg

20180731_180648.jpg

I just replaced the “felt” on the Takisawa, because it was not wiping well, and was surprised to see it wasn’t felt, but rubber or neoprene or such. It had gotten very hard and was not contouring to the ways well. The felt fixed that quite completely, and there is now a nice oil film on the ways all the time.

When did they switch to rubber, anybody know? Seems like a bad idea, no?

Thank you y'all for the input. Maybe Matt will chime in. I sure hate to take this lathe apart. The reason I bought a new one so I don't have to mess with it like the other used lathes I have.

The baby Jet is pretty good with induction hardened ways. When I got it and had the cross slide out, I swept the V way from HS to TS no discernable wear, that was about 3 or 4 years ago. I have since chambered over 70 barrels through that little guy.

Send me your address..... lol. It is broken in, chambered 5 barrels already, a 30 BR benchrest rifle for my brother, a 20 inch 308 AR10, 6.5 Creedmoor AR10, 3 of them.

You don't want it, it's worn out..

Coolant is the reason. Otherwise the water mix will soak under the slides, displace the oil, then wear and rust. Rubber keeps the coolant separat from the oil for the most part.

That I hadn’t thought of! Thanks.

I first bought a sheet from Mcmaster. Later I bought a roll in the width I need which makes them easier to cut to size from Zoro.

Thanks, bud.

Well, I checked out Zoro's website for felt. Talk about confusion as to which one is better fit for the lathe way wiper. Not only do they offer different thickness, they cited different hardness. I am afraid too hard would eventually damage the surface they slide back and forth on. Too soft might not offer any wiping action.

Which one did you get?

Thanks, bud.

Well, I checked out Zoro's website for felt. Talk about confusion as to which one is better fit for the lathe way wiper. Not only do they offer different thickness, they cited different hardness. I am afraid too hard would eventually damage the surface they slide back and forth on. Too soft might not offer any wiping action.

Which one did you get?

I hear ya, I was on the same boat. I went with F5 as I was told that's great for wipers. When I searched online I found the same answer. Some people use F1 which is firmer than F5 but with no reasoning other than they already had it, got it cheap somewhere, etc. I too felt like too firm is not good & could cause abrasion. I read if the felt is too firm it doesn't wick well & you need to use a lighter oil, way oil isn't exactly a light oil. I also read something about sticking with white felt for wipers, I forget the reasons why over the others.

As far as thickness, I went with whatever my delrin wiper covers take so that would be up to you. Same with the width of the roll I got, matched the size of my covers which saves me time cutting out replacements. But I can check the size I use tomorrow if you would like.

SAE F-5 is a white high-grade felt of medium density recommended for precision uses where resiliency and durability are important factors. Typical uses include: lubrication wicks, grease seals, wipers, shock dampers, and dust seals.

Back