PM727M DILEMMA

it doesn't matter if the column itself is square, you need the dovetails the head rides on to be square with the table. That's why you have to check the head by measuring with a DI/ DTI on the head (or in the spindle) against a standard on the table while raising and lowering the head.

Yes. See my previous posts. mattthemuppet2 is precisely correct in his statement. I use a large cylinder square because it's easy to indicate to from any direction and is heavy enough to sit flat on the table and stay put. But lightly clamping a precision square to the XY table works also.

screenshot_3985.jpg

it doesn't matter if the column itself is square, you need the dovetails the head rides on to be square with the table. That's why you have to check the head by measuring with a DI/ DTI on the head (or in the spindle) against a standard on the table while raising and lowering the head.

I been mounting my DTI on a magnetic base mounted to the head plate that rides ontop of the dovetails. Then squared the colums using the ways with the DTI riding up and down a precision square placed to stand vertically on the table to get the X-axis squared.

Man...I don't know. I understand being busy, but 1st come 1st served. If you bought that machine 2 months ago, your pretty much 1st in line. If there are customers prior to 2 months ago that take precedense...there's a big problem. I'm not knocking PM, the forums speak highly of them, that's good enough for me, but I also feel for the person that dropped $xxxx and has been very patient. You both can't be right. Since I have the same machine, if I can give you any measurements/readings (?) I'm happy to help.

Man...I don't know. I understand being busy, but 1st come 1st served. If you bought that machine 2 months ago, your pretty much 1st in line. If there are customers prior to 2 months ago that take precedense...there's a big problem.
Could be a communication thing. They have had a few issues with emails recently where the emails either don't make it to them or their replies don't make it back. It has been very rare that I don't get a response from them the same day I contact them, and the one time it took longer, it was because my email did not make it. But it does sound like they are in touch, just having a bit of difficulty isolating the issue.

Yea, i was hoping they wernt blowing me off because maybe they didnt have an answer for me or a solution for the problem. I mean if i was wrong i wouldnt be wasting their time. I have a busy life that i cant hardly keep up with, so i have better things to be doing that trying to fix this thing. I like PM's products and will continue to buy from them in the future. I plan on buying a bigger mill from them when i have the space. I just think i got a dud and thats all there really is to say, especially after as much time as i have into it. I have done everything PM asked of me and more. I hope they have a solution, i am located 45 mins away from their shop. Id pack it up and take it there for them to look at, if i didnt have to completely tear it back apart to get it out of my basement by myself. That really sucked...

Is there any way to square up the spindle 1st, then be able to raise the head and by measuring the deviation, shim the base? Kinda working backwards but if my spindle isnt perfectly square, maybe its adding additional error???

Brad125,
Do you have a lathe as well? If so, you can make that 3 inch cylinder. The key things is to know what your taper is... and you can measure that with a micrometer and have it as a known adjustment.

Back