Pondering This Lathe

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
I've been watching this lathe on Craigslist for a few weeks now.:watchingyou: Long enough to see the price fall closer to my range. The wife said we/I could use some cash we have in an investment that has matured to purchase this. Price is still a bit high for my finances tho'.

Does anyone know anything about these Clausing lathes? The listing says it is in good shape and the only reason he's selling it is to make room for a newer one he's purchased. Does it look like it's had a paint job?

It would fit in my shed...have to change it to 120 volt as I don't have 220 available...perhaps...

But then she wants me to sell the old South Bend 9....AAHHHHGGGGG! Decisions and turmoil!:yikes::bawling:

01414_hOmv4YjlzSz_600x450.jpg00F0F_bNsf0IThxXJ_600x450.jpg00L0L_8dnnyfhu7Vx_600x450.jpg

--------------------------------Lathe delivered to your garage---------------------------------
For sale is a good working Colchester 13 lathe that is ready to make parts. Gap bed will swing 19" . The motor is single phase 220 volt two speed pulley the spindle has a brake. Spindle bore is 1.65" with L00 nose. Chuck included. The tool post steady rest and tail stock go with machine also full length splash guard on back. All gears are in good shape power feeds work. The gears in the head look like they were made yesterday. Very solid heavy machine. I used it for hobby projects and need to make room for other machines.

Machine size is 72" long 30" wide.

01414_hOmv4YjlzSz_600x450.jpg 00F0F_bNsf0IThxXJ_600x450.jpg 00L0L_8dnnyfhu7Vx_600x450.jpg

Man, that machine looks like its been really well cared for. If the price is right, and it runs as good as it looks....Its a no brainer.

It looks like someone “just “went through a lot of work and painted it up all pretty and all. Maybe after all that work they found out something was wrong with it? So are selling it and getting another lathe? I would not go through all that work and then sell it if it worked! Must be something wrong, I smell a rat.

Edit: I just noticed that large change gear. And it’s been welded! And that whole area does not look right. Shouldn’t it have a banjo? And more gears? Was it set-up for Metric? Is that a 127 tooth gear? And the lower outside gear does nothing? Someone please chime in that knows more about this model lathe than me.

Last edited:
I think it's been painted as well, fairly recently. All the steel bits have normal discolouration from oil wiping, etc but there's nothing on the green parts. Not even wear showing on the coolant tank (if that's what the sloped cover is in the centre).

May still be great machine, but it has been prettied.

If you have the chance to see it, go check it out. The painting is no sign for alarm as many people slap a coat of paint on a machine then get a case of upgradeitis and move on. The weld on the gear is likely to weld a splined collar so that the gear engages the shaft. This machine is more substantial than a SB and is much more rigid. It is likely rocking a 3 HP motor so will be a bit of a work horse. Check what range of threads it will cut as getting change gears can be very difficult. It looks to be a Colchester Triumph from the 50's:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page14.html

rebadged as a Clausing 15 inch:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page8.html

If the accuracy is still there on the machine, backlash is tolerable and it has the right accessories, then pounce on it and then give it a better paint job.

Paul.

For sure, go check it out. I've always had a sweet spot for units in that era/style. Find-out what kind of spindle mount system it has -and if it's something you can live with. -Me personally... I'm not crazy about spin-on chucks. If it's not a spin-on type, verify it has mounted chucks or, that the style is still available.

Ray

I actually like that little lathe myself -but don't worry, I'm not planning to snipe it. Anyhow, I just looked more closely and it appears to have a "L-type" spindle mount. -Not 100% certain but, that style was popular in the day of that lathe. L0 and L1 backplates were the most common back then and now are a little hard to find -but not impossible. I'm told there's a place that still makes them but, I've never been able to confirm that. There is also an L00 type (smaller than L0) -which likely is something you may need to scavenge off eBay or a machine equipment supplier. There's also L2, L3 etc (much bigger size) and don't believe I've ever seen one. If that lathe has an L-type spindle, I'd bet money it's either L00 or L0.

Ray

This lathe looks very much like a Colchester Triumph. I have a Colchester Master which is almost identical to this lathe, although the apron is set up a little differently.

IMGP0041800x600.jpg

There is nothing wrong with the outboard gearing set-up as far as I know. Other than the welded gear, it looks the same as mine...

IMGP0840600x800_zpse2ac279d.jpg

The lathe that you pictured can cut both imperial and metric threads by simply turning the short lever that is just above the tumbler shaft on the lower change gear box. It appears that the electric panel (bottom left cabinet stand) has been re-modelled, as one would expect, as the ad states that it is a single phase 220 volt operation. This lathe would have been 3 phase originally and likely had a suds pump in the center cabinet. I am very happy with my lathe.

You still have to determine what condition it is in.

If you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Maybe someone already posted the appropriate links, but just in case...

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/index.html

Good luck... :)

Brian

Oh, and yes, it looks like it's been repainted... and the spindle is simply driven by twin belts... not a two speed pulley...

Back