Pondering This Lathe

Make sure that welded gear runs true.

A very important point George. If it doesn't, there is no end to the problems that this might cause. I have a friend who recieved an entire Colchester headstock and may have that gear as a spare.

Brian :)

Just to add a picture to show where the wear on the apron control lever (if that is the correct name) is occuring. The shaft that you see spins and the apron lever rides on that, so naturally the casting is wearing away at the top and some day it will let go. Other then getting a newish one there really is no fix that is permanent even at that. Something to look for on this style of lathe in the future.
Pierre

colchester.jpg

No Longer Pondering This Lathe

I've been quiet while thinking over your comments, which I am grateful for. Decided to wait awhile before making a decision. Then the seller came down another $150 on his price and I almost bit the bullet and jumped on it. Then the listing was removed by the seller.

That may or may not be a good thing, it is what it is. Keeping in mind all the comments I was cautiously looking at other CL offerings in my area. But now I have this nagging thought in the back of my mind.

"Do I want to purchase someone elses problems or should I just rebuild my old SB 9C and see if I can upgrade her with a power crossfeed and Quick change gears?"

I see the carriages and gearboxes listed on E-bay all the time

Aside from that is the fact many of those on CL listing a lathe have a high price for what the woefully inadequate photos show and when you ask for more information they don't respond or tell you they don't know anything about the lathe. Then some have the audacity to ask you what your going to pay when you know next to nothing about the machine.

O, sorry, was that a rant? Started to get carried away.

Stiil cogitating I guess.

Back