Pope P-32 Spindle - How to disassemble

The struggle has been disappointing. Still not quite ready to call it, though.

I've seen that picture you attached. Since it is not quite the same, I was hoping there might be another (better) one out there. For example, there are no locking screws shown in the exploded assembly (except for the stator). Mine uses two at the wheel-end. They thread into a brass sleeve, 180 degrees apart. The set screws are accessible by removing a threaded plug in the housing. So far, no luck on finding anything showing those setscrews. However, if we can safely assume the designs are fundamentally similar, and I believe they are, then there is hope.

Would you agree from looking at that pic, that the shaft could conceivably be pressed out in either direction? Even while typing that, I still believe the shaft "SHOULD" be pressed out from the wheel-end.

I do tend to have some reservations about how hard to press on it - in any direction. I keep thinking I must have missed another setscrew (been there before). That said, right now the press is still holding its full force against the rotor-end of the shaft - been that way for a couple of days now. The hydraulic bottle jack is rated at 20 tons, which means it's probably good for 12 :).

I like the idea of soaking the whole thing in a pentrating oil. An ultrasonic cleaner large enough would be really nice, but that's a non-starter! I'll have to see what I can rig up. On Monday I will reach out to Grinders Clearing House for help.

If I weren't so jammed up right now, I'd add a force gauge to the press, just for S&G. I am trying to complete the construction of a new shop and get final inspection so I can start moving in machines!

Got it.
Leaving the shaft on the press with some Kroil in the rotor's recess did the trick. It still took almost everything the press had, and when it finally let go, it was with great gusto - BOOM!

It turns out everything inside the housing is in very good condition. The races show only typical running discoloration with no overheating evidence, no scratches or scores, and the bearing rollers are all smooth as glass.

The bearing sound that I had heard before disassembling it was from the 6204 bearing at the rear motor housing. It's definitely worn out, and it seems to be the only part needed.

In the attached photo, the string of parts immediately below the shaft came off the wheel-end. They're laid out in order .
The bearing still on the shaft left its race in the housing.
20220724_162103.jpg

Congratulations.... You got brave...lol... I am curious, did the bearings have any grease on them? Did you buy some "good" grease? Remember to only fill it 25 to 30% full and good luck on the reassembly.

They were greased - and the grease was in good condition. Some oxidation, but it was still quite soft and very clean. I have not sourced new yet. I will look into your recommended options.
Thanks for the assistance. More (hopefully good news) to follow...

What's the status? Done anything on the Pope Spindle lately?

I've been very busy finishing the interior build-out in my new shop building. I'm probably a week or so from getting my final. So no meaningful progress on the spindle.
I decided to fully inspect the spindle shaft before ordering any parts. In particular, I wanted to confirm it was straight. Since I didn't have v blocks big enough I decided to make some. That's done, and the shaft is true.

I have made a few parts for the SG, like a new x-axis shaft for the handwheel (old one has a bend in it) and some new handwheel handles, cleaned up the spindle housing of some ugly setscrew damage from the (missing) wheel guard not aligning to the flat on the housing, and started removing three layers of paint from the entire machine (still a long way to go there).

I believe I will use electrolysis wherever I can to strip, derust (very little actually), and make ready for new paint. When everything is cleaned, I'll assess the ways. They look pretty decent but until I can get at least an indicator on them, it's just a WAG.

So much to do...however, I just yesterday received the Kluber Isoflex NBU15 and I already have the new motor bearing, so maybe some small progress after all.

Back