porch pirates

Now there's someone with way too much time on there hands and that has overcomplicated the device. I much prefer the simple exploding box of dog poop, or whatever kind of poop you have.

I was talking about this sort of thing with my wife just last night. I was thinking of trying to get some of the paint bombs banks use. Maybe just a paintballing "grenade". CO2 powered crap launcher also made the short list. I wouldn't have tried to get it back, but getting footage would be awesome.

And then the bloody thief will sue you for all that you're worth cause it caused them emotional/physical/psychological distress and they got something in their eye to boot.

A couple or three cameras, even dummies should deter these miscreants. Make 'em visible so that they see that there is surveillance.
Oh, and don't forget the sign that states, "This property is under video <BLAH><BLAH><BLAH>"
I know of one business around here that had video footage of the perps stealing his stuff, but it was tossed out because he didn't have signs to notify the miscreants of such.

And then there is the old fall back - if local laws allow, of strapping on your sidearm when you're out on your property for a couple of weeks, it's amazing to witness the drop in strangers walking onto your property.
(Disclaimer: Best suited for country environs, doesn't go over well in a high density sub-division...)

My nephew works at a place where the work trucks are parked out in a yard at night. They have folks stealing stuff practically every
week. When they called the police and showed them the video they took, the cops refused to do anything about it. I think a big
German Shepard would probably solve the problem.

An australian blue heeler cattle dog discourages casual sneak thieves more than somewhat.........our heeler sleeps under the porch steps,and comes up behind miscreants .....it in his genes..........I wont mention what they do in their jeans....Heelers never bark or growl,just do the bizzo...........theres also a red heeler variety...best for over 4000acres ..and no postal delivery.

Just get a cheap appliance, or a big flat screen tv box, full of cardboard. and a GPS tracker that sends it coordinates to your phone.

Want the booby trap route, make some spring loaded devices to push on a spray can, when the string is pulled. The spray can can be paint, a nasty smelling stuff like battery terminal spray, bug repellent, or what ever you can think up.

A walk through the hunting department, may come up with some other ideas, like making a device to dump the contents of deer urine.

Get a big box and use it for your trash. When full wrap it up, put it on the porch whee it is quite visible. Place big insured stickers on it to make it look more valuable.

Bonus points if you have a baby in the house providing dirty diapers for your trash.

Cat urine spray. So it fogs the whole area. Very difficult to wash off.

Back