Possible motor for mill

Wow, sounds like you're making excellent progress! I think this is definitely an upgrade that you'll be happy with once the shakedown is over.

I am definitely so far. Now that it doesn't sound like a cement mixer I messed with belt locations and I think I can dial the rpm down to what looks like tapping speed and still have enough torque. Taking it up to about 90 hz definitely give me the rpms I had before. Still have to replace drive and spindle bearings.

More success last night. But only because @mksj came to my rescue with excellent instructions on how to program my VFD so that a DPDT switch would enable forward/stop/reverse.
It took a couple of tries to get the programming right. User error as per normal. But now i have forward and reverse on my mill.
I still have to wire in the frequency control potentiometer and put it all together properly but this was a big step.
Soon I'll be able to start my knurling tool build so that I can make a tap wrench handle... feels a bit like I'm mining iron ore so that I can build a log cabin.

... feels a bit like I'm mining iron ore so that I can build a log cabin.

I like the way you put this, Dave. As hobby guys, we often have to learn a skill or build something so we can make the thing we really want. We're so focused on the thing we want that we fail to realize that the skills and bits of knowledge we gain along the way are far more valuable. No other hobby I know of will expand your knowledge or enable your self-reliance more than this one and it's really nice watching you grow.

Thanks @mikey, it certainly is a journey. Definitely agree with you about expanding my knowledge and self-reliance.

For example today I spent nearly 10 hours in the garage. My goal was to get the rest of the VFD wiring sorted out and hopefully have a go at the drive bearings.
I have to thank Mark @mksj for giving me the tips I need to get the VFD install done. Thanks Mark!

So I cut leads for the frequency control potentiometer the forward/off/reverse switch, soldered that all up and got it installed in a box.
7580e85362b1209221749d92e00d1643.jpg

I have flex conduit for everything but I didn’t have the correct size adapter for the box. Easy enough to retrofit. In the meantime I zip tied all the wires together for tidiness.

Still need to make labels for the box. Top is frequency, the switch is reverse to the left, off and forward to the right.

I noticed grease dripping from the bottom of the spindle so decided to pull it.

Had to make a pulley to remove the drive pulley. Used a 4” length of 3/8” x 3/4” flat stock. Drilled and tapped a centre hole for a 3/8 bolt and a hole at each end for 3/8 bolts. I also drilled and tapped two 3/8 holes in the top of the pulley. Screwed in the two bolts, applied a bit of tension and the pulley popped right off.

Long story made only somewhat short, my replacement drive bearings are the wrong size inner bore so I didn’t replace them.
The previous owner had pumped the lower spindle bearing full of grease and it had liquified. I cleaned up the whole mess, and reassembled it.

I was planning to do the spindle bearings but discovered that my press doesn’t have the height capacity to press on the new bearings. Seems like another project. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Most machine shops and auto repair shops have a hydraulic or arbor press that can do the spindle bearing swaps for you. Shouldn't cost much, especially if you make the pressing adapters to do the job. Is there another HM member near you that might be able to pitch in?

Most machine shops and auto repair shops have a hydraulic or arbor press that can do the spindle bearing swaps for you. Shouldn't cost much, especially if you make the pressing adapters to do the job. Is there another HM member near you that might be able to pitch in?
The only other local member I know of is @francist and I don't believe he has a press.
I'm going to order the correct size drive bearings so I'll be pulling it all apart again. I should have measured the spindle when I had it out so I could make adapters though I suppose I could extrapolate the measurements from the bearing specs.

@DavidR8 — ah but I do have a press, although not a big one. Mine is a 10-ton Canuck Tire bench mount version so doesn’t have the throw that a floor press does. Is that what you have, or perhaps more to the point, what is the overall height that you would need to do what you want? I can always go measure based on that.

I also have a 1-ton arbour press but that’s not anywhere near what you want. Lemme know if you want me to check.

-frank

@DavidR8 — ah but I do have a press, although not a big one. Mine is a 10-ton Canuck Tire bench mount version so doesn’t have the throw that a floor press does. Is that what you have, or perhaps more to the point, what is the overall height that you would need to do what you want? I can always go measure based on that.

I also have a 1-ton arbour press but that’s not anywhere near what you want. Lemme know if you want me to check.

-frank

I have a bench top model.
I don’t know how much height I actually need. I measuremated the height of the spindle to be about 17”.
Add some space for pressing bushings and call it 20”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back