POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Can I presume the main incremental scale is fairly linear, so a simple calibration factor is sufficient?
The DRO includes a non-linear compensation, but it looks complex. You can imagine that the accuracy of the scale is driven by the speed at which the mag strip is pulled past the write head, since the writing frequency would be well controlled. If the speed varies during a recording run, this would require non- linear compensation, i.e. different corrections depending on position on the strip. But it’s really a production flaw, and should not pass QA. If the speed is steady, but is a bit fast or slow, then the transition distance will be closer or farther apart, respectively. This produces the linear scale factor that can correct for that speed variation.

Had to replace one of the TVs. You would think same brand, same size would be easy, but nope. They moved the mounting holes and used much longer screws, the supplied spacers were too long. My wife was helping and she was like hey you could put them in a vise and cut them down with a hack saw. I told her I had a better idea, I know a guy with a lathe and 1/2 hour later I had proper length spacers.

If I hadn't been tired, I probably would have made all new ones from aluminum, but I just turned down the existing plastic spacers to the needed length. It's nice to have tools.

Kind of a shop activity... Sorted my drill bits and put them in my new Huot index boxes. The number drills were tough. The markings are so hard to read in the intermediate sizes and non-existent in the small sizes. Eventually just got the micrometer and simply measured them - it was a lot faster that way. The marking orientation is dependent on the manufacturer, some were right side up, some upside down and others sideways. Some drills just didn't have any visible markings at all. I'm missing a few bits, and have some duplicates, but overall, have nearly a complete set of jobber fractional, letter, and number drills plus some duplicates.
PXL_20220817_182435794.jpg
A few need sharpening, or a touch up. Going to have to look for a Drill Doctor, or something like that. Been one of those items that I have put off buying. Now have enough drills (these and others that I haven't tossed) that need some work that a Drill Doctor seems worthwhile. Eyesight is not good enough to do these by hand anymore.

Kind of a shop activity... Sorted my drill bits and put them in my new Huot index boxes. The number drills were tough. The markings are so hard to read in the intermediate sizes and non-existent in the small sizes. Eventually just got the micrometer and simply measured them - it was a lot faster that way. The marking orientation is dependent on the manufacturer, some were right side up, some upside down and others sideways. Some drills just didn't have any visible markings at all. I'm missing a few bits, and have some duplicates, but overall, have nearly a complete set of jobber fractional, letter, and number drills plus some duplicates.
View attachment 417478
A few need sharpening, or a touch up. Going to have to look for a Drill Doctor, or something like that. Been one of those items that I have put off buying. Now have enough drills (these and others that I haven't tossed) that need some work that a Drill Doctor seems worthwhile. Eyesight is not good enough to do these by hand anymore.
Boring enough I did the same thing last night. Drill bits from one member index from another with similar results. Just need a few more index's for the rest of the bits.

Good to have them in a index and organized.

If you think that was tough, imagine sorting out four or five of those red boxes of drills. I got really good at sizing the small number drills by eye. Hopefully I've lost that skill by now :)

For drill sharpening I use one of those General drill sharpening jigs that use the side of a bench grinder wheel. They're pretty cheap, $20 or so. I must have done a couple of hundred easy. In fact, if any of yours have sharp and shiny ends, those were ones I sharpened.

If you think that was tough, imagine sorting out four or five of those red boxes of drills. I got really good at sizing the small number drills by eye. Hopefully I've lost that skill by now :)

For drill sharpening I use one of those General drill sharpening jigs that use the side of a bench grinder wheel. They're pretty cheap, $20 or so. I must have done a couple of hundred easy. In fact, if any of yours have sharp and shiny ends, those were ones I sharpened.
I have not sorted mine to place them in the drawers… I go by the red bin/box and whisper “tomorrow”, “tomorrow”…

I have not sorted mine to place them in the drawers… I go by the red bin/box and whisper “tomorrow”, “tomorrow”…
Get cracking... :grin:
I still have to organize the taps, have no idea how to compactly store them.

Back