POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Shekel do two flute too. Now to try a center cutting asymmetric two flute grind. Zoom to appreciate.
Looks good! Learning to grind center cutting is where it’s at for me. I’ve done a couple of 4 flute carbide. Tho I wasn’t happy with their appearance (yours look concentric) they cut wonderfully.

Amazing how much dust these innocent looking little grinder's generate.

The concrete from the foam board milling project from a while back was finally cured and ignored long enough. They were in the way in the shop, so it was time to drag them outside and grind flat-ish. Bought a cheap long stroke 'buffer polisher' from amazon, and a $25 set of diamond discs to go with it. Not the best setup, but worked well enough.

Nothing scientific about the level of flat here, just held a straight edge on it, and looked for low and high and low spots. It would have been nice to try to get it flatter, but the bugs were bad so good enough!

SillyConcrete.jpg

The concrete from the foam board milling project from a while back was finally cured and ignored long enough. They were in the way in the shop, so it was time to drag them outside and grind flat-ish. Bought a cheap long stroke 'buffer polisher' from amazon, and a $25 set of diamond discs to go with it. Not the best setup, but worked well enough.

Nothing scientific about the level of flat here, just held a straight edge on it, and looked for low and high and low spots. It would have been nice to try to get it flatter, but the bugs were bad so good enough!

View attachment 450590

What is the application?

Modern isn't bad tho. The monthly energy bill in our new house is 2/3 the cost of the previous old house. And the new house has x4 the square footage! If my math is right that's 6x better efficiency per sq ft.

Granted, I do like some of the old methods and materials. But the utility and efficiency of the new stuff appeals to me too! We know a couple who bought an older log cabin. About as old a technology as you can get, but I'd never have it based on the energy bills they told us about!
I have to agree. Our home was built in 2000. The insulation is incredible
Even if it's 105 outside, the AC doesn't kick on until mid afternoon. When it does, it goes for a few minutes and shuts off.
Same in winter, the heat comes on for just a few minutes and the temperature stays very comfortable with no drafts. (21 seer, 4 ton w/heat pump)
The home we had that burned down was built in 1986. A world of difference the way the home would not stay at temp.. In summer the AC ran constantly (4 ton unit) 2,100 sq. ft.

I have to agree. Our home was built in 2000. The insulation is incredible
Even if it's 105 outside, the AC doesn't kick on until mid afternoon. When it does, it goes for a few minutes and shuts off.
Same in winter, the heat comes on for just a few minutes and the temperature stays very comfortable with no drafts. (21 seer, 4 ton w/heat pump)
The home we had that burned down was built in 1986. A world of difference the way the home would not stay at temp.. In summer the AC ran constantly (4 ton unit) 2,100 sq. ft.
Current new homes are even better: regs call for even higher R-values and tighter envelopes (which in some areas results in needing Radon ventilation).

Back