POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I made a mistake in my shop today. DAMN.
I made a rushed decision, not remembering why and what I decided to do on my steady rest. It cost me. I may have to remake the base.
Rather than use dowel pins and screws to secure the base like I decided, I wound up making a slot and matching mating surface to key the base in.
Then when I was done, I realized I just took my steady 1/16" out of center and lowered it. What lined up before, is now out .

Crap... need to make a new thicker piece out of steel for the base.
PXL_20230623_171705617.jpgPXL_20230623_171711165.jpg

It won't matter, it'll work fine just as it is, but I can see why you would want to fix it after spending that much time on it

Or...

Cut a bit more out of the base, then make a brass spacer that fits both.

The color contrast will add some appeal.

You can tell folks it is a special bushing...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

It won't matter, it'll work fine just as it is, but I can see why you would want to fix it after spending that much time on it
I agree, but what I am worried about is wearing of the brass tips. If they are on center, then I believe the curve is always centered on the tips, if I go from small to large with them uncentered, I am worried that for different circumferences they won't sit correct.
Or...

Cut a bit more out of the base, then make a brass spacer that fits both.

The color contrast will add some appeal.

You can tell folks it is a special bushing...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I thought of that, But not there yet.

I don't think it matters since you will adjust the supports to match the work each time it is used. The brass tips are a wear parts that will likely way out live us. They run on oil. I don't use mine all that often but it has been abused to support 6' long 2 1/2" steel shaft. Even without the tailstock for support, the brass tips held up fine. 1440 Lathe.

All this talk about steady rests makes me think I should jump on the one for the lathe here too. Maybe we could all commiserate!

Finished up a few minor projects.

If anyone remembers that router project from a bit back. Finally got all the parts in. The router table was used because the OD of pipe doesn't match my drill sets.

Not super happy with how it turned out, but it will beat leaving TIG rod laying around everywhere. It's self standing, or can sit on a bench. Mostly burning up leftover material from other projects, thus the scrap painted OSB. Figured 20 different tubes would be a lifetime supply. Well, there's only 5 or so empty as of this morning.
TIGRods.jpg
It's designed so I can tuck the hand truck under it, and wheel it into the storage area when not needed. Way cheaper than those fancy plastic tig tube holders.

We had some nice warm weather, and the barrel sauna needed some TLC. Pressure washers are really amazing.
Here's a mid cleaning, and post cleaning/stain/waterseal. It was getting pretty dingy looking on the one side.
Pressure.jpgThompsons.jpg

During the process someone stopped by for a drink, probably looking for a few extra minerals and salt...
LittleBuddy.jpg

I made a mistake in my shop today. DAMN.
I made a rushed decision, not remembering why and what I decided to do on my steady rest. It cost me. I may have to remake the base.
Rather than use dowel pins and screws to secure the base like I decided, I wound up making a slot and matching mating surface to key the base in.
Then when I was done, I realized I just took my steady 1/16" out of center and lowered it. What lined up before, is now out
That look great! It's worth the effort to get it perfect.

Back