POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

ThisFor.jpg
Looks familiar ! I have a 40" Vidmar with a ShopTop in at work . My Kennedy large mechanics box sits on top . I have to bring it home when I find some space . :)

I've been wanting to make a small vise stop for a while. I could have spent the $20 and had one in hand, but nooooooooooooooooooo. I wanted steel, not aluminum. Made this one out of 1018.
IMG_0042.jpgIMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg
The 2 guide pins are 3/16", and stop pin is 1/8". Using @pontiac428's (Mr. Newman) "Sheckel" grinder tapered the guide pins and put a blunt taper on the stop pin. The stop pin is only 1.5" long for now. Found an open bag of 2.25" pins on the bay that I will use when they arrive. The stop pin is just below the top of the vise jaw allowing for a little more flexibility when milling around the part. Depth inside the vise jaw extends down .200 so I can still use pretty tall parallels under it. Overall dimensions for the 1018 were 1.25 x 1.35 x .5

D60A369A-9A6C-43F7-B92C-803A1C22C899.jpeg
Made these benches a couple months ago.
Nothing fancy to put it mildly. What I lack in wood working skills I make up for in calking skills, lots of gray and white paint sitting around so gray and white it is.
They have turned out to be pretty versatile, needed to remove my truck tailgate yesterday and was looking at options. To heavy and bulky for me to manage alone. Hauling out the gantry crane was too much work, engine hoist was a maybe. Couple of quick measurements and bench is within an inch of the height of the tailgate.
9F37D30B-A2E3-46F1-996A-7937EA68084D.jpeg
Worked well enough that I could single hand the job

"Sure! Take it! I have more Delrin and can make another one...."

A few months later... "Son of a gun! I am out of black Delrin in that size to make another one... arghhhhhh!!!"

By the day, this started as a rectangular piece of Delrin... Had to turn it, then make a recess on both ends.

Oh well... white it is... raiser for the cleaning arm on the turntable... That cleaning arm is for another brand but with the raiser it works perfect on my turntable...

IMG_1953.jpeg

IMG_1948.jpeg

Last edited:
Believe me, when it comes to tunes @wachuko has it figured out, equipment and inventory.
From what little he has shown, his music collection was plucked straight out of my brain.
Thank you for the kind words.

Small collection... the other one that I love to listen to is from Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley from the album Couldn't Stand The Weather. Talk about a musician that left this earth too early...

The system has been put together very slowly over many, many years... reconditioned VPI turntable, used amp from my brother-in-law at a very, and I mean, very low price... He is actually a bad influence (in a good way), lol. Limited space in the office so speakers are not place in the optimal location. But it is just me sitting in front of it listening, so do not care much for that at this point. Maybe I get to place them better when we finally move....

Last edited:
Back