POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

POTD is mostly done; I can now more or less safely walk through my shop. A lot of us have posted ways of storing material. Here's what I've done. And sorry, I didn't shoot a "before" picture, but take my word for it, my stock was VERY DISORGANIZED!

The project started by pulling everything off the brown metal rack, cardboard boxes on the floor, precariously leaned stock against the walls, etc. and sorting through it by material (aluminum, stainless steel, tool steel, brass, plain carbon steel, copper, etc.) OSHA would have had a field day for trip hazards.

Here are a couple of panorama shots of the west 32' wall of my shop (minus the toilet on the wall behind the Jet mill):

20230716_130034.jpg

20230716_130052.jpg

Here are the individual storage areas with some back story. Yes, with Bruce there's always a back story. . .

This is a stainless steel rack that came out of my parent's basement. In a previous life, it stored Ektachrome slide film chemistry for an E-6 film processor. It dawned on me after pulling the replenishment pumps from the bottom shelf that this would make a nice rack for storing material. Problem is the top is about 40" tall making it tough to lift 8' or longer material out without hitting my 10' ceiling. Still some work to do here as I ran out of 4" drain PVC. This is where I'll stick stuff between ~2' to 6' long. Currently have it organized going from left to right as plain carbon steel, aluminum/copper/brass/wood, stainless steel/plastic, tool steel. I'll eventually break out the Brother label maker to mark the stock.
20230716_130101.jpg

This is a 4' wide rack for longer stuff. My parents ran a photofinishing business out of their basement; multiple darkrooms were framed in the basement. I reclaimed most of the 3/4" plywood cabinetry and 2 x 4's for future projects. I made a little dent in the pile of 2 x 4's here; 20" x 4' base with 3 sectioned areas. I didn't show the work, but the 2 x 4 frame about 3' off the ground has 1/4" aluminum bracing on the 2 x 4's to give the legs some stability. In case OSHA does come in my shop, I put safety chains across the openings. I didn't show the lathe work, but the chains have snap links on them that hook to 1/4" lag bolts. There's a fender washer at the head of the lags and a bushing below to give a landing for the snap links.
20230716_130114.jpg

Material rack for shorts up to 22" (rack is 18" deep). The green tubs are around 5" x 5" x 15" deep, came from Menards. The white tubes are 4" drain PVC ~20" long. I didn't show the work, cut the tubing with a miter saw. Set them side by side and punched holes with a Roper Whitney No. 5 punch for 8-32 screws to join them and keep them from rolling. More labeling needed here as stuff is currently organized by type: CRS, stainless, 4140, brass, copper, aluminum, tool steel, etc.
20230716_130122.jpg

Another rack with some drawers on the bottom shelf with chunks and rounds of plastic. The oak drawers came from a sewing table I made my mom over 35 years ago. I busted up the cabinet as my wife already has one, found a decent repurpose for the drawers. Rest of the story is this rack has rotary tools up top (drill motors, Roto-zips), drill bits on the next shelf, saws on the next one and the plastic storage on the bottom.
20230716_130127.jpg

I didn't show it, but I still have some piles of stainless, plain carbon steel and aluminum that will be headed to our local metal recycler. They pay ~$0.10 / pound for steel, and ~$0.40 / pound for stainless and aluminum. After pulling everything off the shelves, boxes, floor, wall, etc. and sorting by material, I sub-sorted by separating stuff into "I might use it" and "probably not" piles. Once everything got somewhat organized, there's actually some empty space. Oh the horrors, do I go back through my "probably not" piles and save some of it from the recycler?!?! Nah, plenty of future botched projects to be had with what's there!

Thanks for looking!

Bruce

I did this today. Isn't it awesome?
Isn't.jpg

OK, OK. Here's what it's for...
Awesome.jpgtoo.jpg

Was helping a buddy out today working on something, and we took a ride to his other shop. I have been looking for a old donut spare or similar for a hose reel. He give me this instead, as it was sitting in the corner. It's been painted with some old green paint, probably from some old lady who used it for a decoration in a previous life. Most of that washed off cleaning it up...

I did this today. Isn't it awesome?
View attachment 454163

OK, OK. Here's what it's for...
View attachment 454162View attachment 454164

Was helping a buddy out today working on something, and we took a ride to his other shop. I have been looking for a old donut spare or similar for a hose reel. He give me this instead, as it was sitting in the corner. It's been painted with some old green paint, probably from some old lady who used it for a decoration in a previous life. Most of that washed off cleaning it up...

Mid-30's Ford? I have two just like it on the back of my '29 Model A...

When I put the original wheels back on my 'A', I may repurpose the back wheels for something similar...

-Bear

I have one like that from a 32' pickup I believe. Have it bead blasted and painted, and bought a repop chrome hubcap for it. It's waiting for me to do some pin-stripping on it before I mount it on the wall. Mike

When I put the original wheels back on my 'A', I may repurpose the back wheels for something similar...

-Bear

-Bear
I'm guessing mid 30's Ford also. It's a bit too wide for model A. (My Dad redid his grandfather's coupe when I was a kid).
Diameter seems a bit smaller, and the hubcaps seem too big. Thinking this might have had that V8 emblem on the hubcaps, based on some I saw just last summer.

It's doing exactly what it needs to right now. And it isn't going to deteriorate any further sitting where it is. So, win-win. :)

I managed to get a few things done this weekend.

First, my parts came in to finish my CNC conversion on the Spectrum 875 plasma. I used a convenient DT connector for OBD because it gave me heavier gauge circular crimp pins for the voltage sensor as well as light pins for the trigger, and a few spares in case I want to expand later. This cost under$50 to do, compared to Miller's $400 kit (I love Miller, but not that much!). The restrictive little air coupler is a temporary for testing.
PXL_20230716_170429300.jpg

Next, I paused to throw together a chip/splash shield. I have a few Starrett mag bases that are a little worn out and wobbly, and I should have done this long ago. I used a scrap of 12 ga. solid copper wire for the arm. It's rigid enough (barely), but heavier wire would help. Of course, I have no idea how long the copper will stay soft, I imagine this is very temporary and work hardening will set in sooner rather than later. I used it while face milling and end milling some steel yesterday, and it was nice to not be covered in chips. I will have to make some articulating arms and another two or three of these things eventually. Good experiment, though.
PXL_20230716_185613639.jpg

And lastly, I made space! Over 30 square feet worth! Shelving and items better stored in cheaper real estate are going upstairs to my "parts library" or loft above the shop. Grinding station moved to where the dust won't be an issue and hung some funky metric pegboard I bought in Germany for easy access. I think this is 1/3 of the space that I can free up from three shelving units packed with stuff I don't need direct access to. I'll be a happy boy when it's tools downstairs and storage upstairs as far as space goes, but I'm already grumbling about going up and down all the time. Space is nice, though.
PXL_20230716_190103342.jpg

Back