POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Some old man machinist said, "If I can hold it, I can machine it." I try to remember that. This was like clamping a banana to my table. Turned out really solid with just two clamps and two 1-2-3 blocks under each toe.

Whuddizzit? It's the transfer case bucket from my Samurai. I'm fitting an extra transmission in between the 5-speed and the transfer case for 20 forward gears. Need to make space and add extra support at the same time. The extra torque is going to put a bit of added stress on the already light frame and mounts.
View attachment 454657
Please post some pictures of this vehiicles

I have to ask, how long is the rear driveline?

What rear end and front end are you using?

Haven't owned a Sammi but I have a Tracker. Fun little vehicle. Down until I find a good 8v head. Really surprised at how much I like it.
The rear driveline is only about 1.5" longer than stock. I extended the frame 6" in back. The front is stretched 14" and I fabricated all the steering and suspension. I fabricated everything, I'm averse to kits. I'm still on stock axles with good alloy shafts, but I can't go any bigger with the tires. I kind of painted myself into the corner on the stock axles, it's too expensive to swap to toyotas when I already have gears, lockers, shafts, high steer, beefed hubs, bracing and rock reinforcement, an 4 wheel disc brakes.

Its been hanging out in primer since last fall while I've been working on the drivetrain update.PXL_20230507_012250080.jpg

Some old man machinist said, "If I can hold it, I can machine it." I try to remember that. This was like clamping a banana to my table. Turned out really solid with just two clamps and two 1-2-3 blocks under each toe.

Whuddizzit? It's the transfer case bucket from my Samurai. I'm fitting an extra transmission in between the 5-speed and the transfer case for 20 forward gears. Need to make space and add extra support at the same time. The extra torque is going to put a bit of added stress on the already light frame and mounts.
View attachment 454657
Now I don't feel so bad about some of setups.

I'm afraid to ask what you're planning on doing with those low range gears, but do you have a long enough snorkel?

Now I don't feel so bad about some of setups.

I'm afraid to ask what you're planning on doing with those low range gears, but do you have a long enough snorkel?
I giggle like an idiot whenever I see someone trying to act serious about a gawdang snorkel. I've worked on immersion capable vehicles, and none of them came out of a car dealership. I won't cross a puddle if it touches my oil pan, I got better things to do than spend the rest of the day finding out how to get home with a shock cracked engine block.

I am about to find out how different the setup has to be to switch from crawling rocks in the desert on my old turf to wheeling mud ruts in the PNW.

I giggle like an idiot whenever I see someone trying to act serious about a gawdang snorkel. I've worked on immersion capable vehicles, and none of them came out of a car dealership. I won't cross a puddle if it touches my oil pan, I got better things to do than spend the rest of the day finding out how to get home with a shock cracked engine block.

I am about to find out how different the setup has to be to switch from crawling rocks in the desert on my old turf to wheeling mud ruts in the PNW.
Reminds me of when I got my '86 S-10 Blazer I gave it a quick test drive before they gave it the final pre-delivery cleaning, and a buddy told me I missed my chance to try it out in the mud without having to do the cleaning myself.

Up until 4am last night moving stuff in the garage . Plan on bringing 4 42" boxes up and lining the left wall with them again . Never ends moving things . :rolleyes:

Today white elephant No.1 (white skoda) was in the big garage with a very bad misfire and loss of power. First on the list was to take out all the spark plugs and read them. They are snow white, the fuel tune is very very lean. This car is running on LPG (propane) and recently had a map sensor go bad and was replaced i'm not sure if the LPG shop mess with the tune or this is from the bad sensor. I changed the plugs drove it but when hot still had a miss fire, found is a cylinder 3 miss fire from the diagnostics, swapped coils and misfire changed cylinder, so it has a bad ignition coil. Bought installed a new coil and that fix it now it has its power back and idle smooth. This car always has the weirdest breakdowns and is going on my nerves.
IMG_20230721_173605.jpgIMG_20230721_173304.jpgIMG_20230722_133455.jpg

Reminds me of when I got my '86 S-10 Blazer
I've got my bought new 93 K5 2 door that we will be restoring soon . I have to move it today to make way for more tools and boxes . Its been sitting for years but still runs when jumped . Little noisy , but still runs . :grin:

This is a combination of What Did I Buy, What Did I Make and What Did I Do: Finished a new camera mount setup (with thanks to Clough42 for the concepts):

Bought (from All Industrial): Noga Big Boy for $78 less than they wanted via Amazon or eBay, once you included the 10% 4th of July promo.

Fabricated round & rectangular attaching plates (OK, cleaned up and filled some holes in A36 steel from SteelDawg & Online Metals).

Did: put everything together (with bits & pieces from Amazon):

BigBoy Mill Left.JPG
The flat bar in front of the mill is permanent and allows positioning the base right or left. As shown, it's perfect to work on the right side of the vise or on the table:

Mill Left Ambient.jpeg
More than sturdy enough for ambient lighting (1/125s @ f/5.6, 60mm zoom)

But this setup makes it a lot easier to use the right flash:

Mill Left Ring Flash.jpeg
Better depth of field (f/11)

To get things out of the way (and capture work on the left side of the vise), I can attach to the disk to the right of the lathe:

BigBoy Lathe Right.JPG
Lathe Right Ring Flash.jpeg

The disk can be located almost anywhere, but for now I have locations on each end of the lathe.

I did consider putting some plates in the overhead like James did, but thought that was more trouble than it was worth (plus I knew I'd bang my head all the time).

Last edited:
I've got my bought new 93 K5 2 door that we will be restoring soon . I have to move it today to make way for more tools and boxes . Its been sitting for years but still runs when jumped . Little noisy , but still runs . :grin:
Sadly, my S-10 died when I was T-Boned by a van that ran a stop sign and it rolled into a ditch along Rt 72 a little south of Mount Hope.

Back