POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Today i started on the "new" shed, i've been working on it for more then a year now. I took out all the car parts and rearrange them i hung the doors and the hood then i arranged the rest. Also cut and fitted bords on the other side for shelves. With that done i loaded the wagon with couple of sheets of zinc plated corrugated sheet metal I have one more sheet and some tubing in the big garage ready to make a door for it. If i find the energy i'll finish the welding tomorrow it's been like 40 degrees celsius for days now.
IMG_20230728_200558.jpgIMG_20230728_200618.jpg

Bee day yesterday . Yellow jackets built a next above my front door up in the eave where my flag pole was mounted . One of the storms last month ripped it completely off the house and left a small hole . The bees have been getting progressively worse recently . I bought those yellow jacket traps off of Amazon but these didn't work . Yesterday I hooked up my shop vac and hung the hose by the bee entrance and got about 500 or so in the soapy water . There's more out there today so I'll repeat the process today .

Bee day yesterday . Yellow jackets built a next above my front door up in the eave where my flag pole was mounted . One of the storms last month ripped it completely off the house and left a small hole . The bees have been getting progressively worse recently . I bought those yellow jacket traps off of Amazon but these didn't work . Yesterday I hooked up my shop vac and hung the hose by the bee entrance and got about 500 or so in the soapy water . There's more out there today so I'll repeat the process today .
We had them (hornets, mud daubers, wasps?) get around our vinyl siding at a corner post the foyer dormer. Our house is sheathed with 1" Styrofoam which they ate through. Then ate 6" of blown in wet cellulose. Then ate through the drywall and made a hole into the foyer. I sprayed them from the outside with Raid, then heavily coated the area with Sevin dust. That got 'em all.

Bruce

I don't mind bees but yellow jackets are nasty. I had the same yesterday above my kitchen door they were trying to create a nest in the eave.
I've sprayed them 5 or 6 times and they are still there. I don't get it.

We had them (hornets, mud daubers, wasps?) get around our vinyl siding at a corner post the foyer dormer. Our house is sheathed with 1" Styrofoam which they ate through. Then ate 6" of blown in wet cellulose. Then ate through the drywall and made a hole into the foyer. I sprayed them from the outside with Raid, then heavily coated the area with Sevin dust. That got 'em all.

Bruce
We have those in the new house... the traps from Amazon are a joke... I have been breaking the nests and spraying with Raid as well. Luckily, not inside any part of the house, just over the front door and in the lanai...

Yellow Jackets are meat eaters (that is scary enough right there). Saw a guy on YouTube that built a trap using a plastic tub filled with soapy water about an inch above the water he tied a chicken bone with a little meat on it. put a board partially covering the tub leaving plenty of room for the wasp to get in. Caught thousands of yellow jackets. The theory is that when yellow jackets take flight, they loose altitude first then fly away. When they loose altitude in the tub they dip into the soapy water and get stuck.

I tried it and it did work.

This guy

I have them . Not 1 bee after 2 days . Bet the shop vac is full though . Pics this evening of todays catch ! :grin: The toads around the porch will be eating good tonight .

Yellow Jackets are meat eaters (that is scary enough right there). Saw a guy on YouTube that built a trap using a plastic tub filled with soapy water about an inch above the water he tied a chicken bone with a little meat on it. put a board partially covering the tub leaving plenty of room for the wasp to get in. Caught thousands of yellow jackets. The theory is that when yellow jackets take flight, they loose altitude first then fly away. When they loose altitude in the tub they dip into the soapy water and get stuck.

I tried it and it did work.
what about flies? if you bait it with meat, I assume you get a ton of flies????

Back