POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Very poorly :chunky:

Hans originally came with a torso and a carrying case for him to travel in from an expo to another. Those were already missing when I got him.

He has a neck though, but it doesn’t show in the pictures.
Did Hans' makers add the rosy cheeks after realizing he looked like a recruiting model for the Waffen SS?

Today was a long day first at work also at home. When i got home i decided it's the day to finish the parts storage shed. I painted the new bars with quick drying primer and began cutting and attaching sheet metal. I use pop rivets and a drill to attach all the metal, it went well but it was a windy day so i had to use all my strength to hold down the sheets till i had couple of rivets. Then i focused on the dirt between it and the sidewalk. I had some stone that my neighbor gave me, so i dug out the dirt and put down the stone and paket it down. I have some more of that stone so i may try to do the same for the next shed. After so long i have some more storage so i can clean up the big garage.
IMG_20230731_182024.jpg365418262_1287006858598567_3749872651372472192_n.jpg

A simple threading job for my guide camera for my telescope. I used a spare adapter and cut .75 mm to fit into blue guide scope. Took longer to center the part in the 4 jaw and set up the gear train for metric.
Pierre

Attachments

• 4EEE67B3-7BA5-4036-8B93-4A74C75B2F95.jpeg
    4EEE67B3-7BA5-4036-8B93-4A74C75B2F95.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 20
Backhoe fade is a real *****....

Many years ago our team was performing a splice repair on a major long distance fiber, it was a ring so everything just went the other way on the ring.

Some guy dug up the fiber somewhere else, made life real interesting, depending on the end points some circuits still up, most not so much.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
We get our communication services from Centurylink, landline phone and DSL internet. We have two lines, personal and business. Monday afternoon, our DSL's both quit, while our phones still worked. Rumor has it that there was a large group of CL workers about six miles away, on the other side of town. That would be where the fiber would be coming from the bigger city. We finally got service again about 11PM Tuesday night. I assume that someone damaged a fiber optic cable that required a great deal of splicing.

It would be typical of Centurylink to not maintain any redundancy. They don't even supply enough bandwidth to handle normal traffic. We can tell when the kids get home from school closer to town, since reception slows down noticeably. So much for "rings."

Needed a Small Mauser Action Truing Mandrel when I was re-barreling a customers rifle last week. Large ring mandrels can be founds online, but small are scarce. I had some 1.5" bar stock which was overkill, but made due. Found the bolt way dia. in the large and small are the same, it just required a different size barrel thread. I cut a length of 14.125" so that I had space to true the ends for a final 14". After drilling the ends accordingly for turning with a live center, I turned the short end down first to .937" to set up for threading @12TPI for .500". Cut in the forward and rear thread relief, then threaded with 55 Whitworth insert. Flipped the bar in the chuck and proceeded to turn the long end down to .700". Once off the lathe, I set it in the mill vise to add two flats at the small end. A bit of polishing brought the finishing dia. to .699" which seats very well in the small Mauser action (at least this one). For a final touch, I labeled it with the laser engraver. To be honest, as simple as it was, it turned out to be one of the better form, fit and functioning tools i've made thus far.IMG_8294.jpgIMG_8206.jpgIMG_8207.jpg

We get our communication services from Centurylink, landline phone and DSL internet. We have two lines, personal and business. Monday afternoon, our DSL's both quit, while our phones still worked. Rumor has it that there was a large group of CL workers about six miles away, on the other side of town. That would be where the fiber would be coming from the bigger city. We finally got service again about 11PM Tuesday night. I assume that someone damaged a fiber optic cable that required a great deal of splicing.

It would be typical of Centurylink to not maintain any redundancy. They don't even supply enough bandwidth to handle normal traffic. We can tell when the kids get home from school closer to town, since reception slows down noticeably. So much for "rings."
I finally dropped CenturyStink.. we had no internet for a while, and they were saying their server crashed and they were waiting for a new one. They kept billing us, and no estimate on a new server. I asked why they don't transfer us to another server.. They said they can't do that... So, I left them. They were pretty bad.. We had problems with many customers who used centuryStink too. Not a fan. I still have them for my landline.. I went from 6mb to 100mb (now) on cable.

Minor project... Hated having to empty the tray in my lever espresso machine... so I modified it to drain with a hose to a plastic 4 gallon canister (to later hook up to the drain in the house) but the tray did not have any kind of drop... water tension kept water in the tray all the time...

Again, simple fix but took me two years to actually do the dimple in the tray...

E1.jpg
E2.jpg
E3.jpg
E4.jpg
E5.jpg

Drains better now...

E6.jpg

Today, I said a-la-ka-poof! and my band saw collapsed to the floor like this.

PXL_20230818_200340426.jpg

I'm doing the servo motor conversion. I was hoping to knock it out today, but ran into some holdups. The bearings are real notchy, so new Timkens are coming in tomorrow. I ordered the wrong tires, so I gave them to a friend and need to re-order the right ones. Lastly, I need to make a pair of sheaves because even with the small motor pulley, 75 SFM is barely 375 RPM at the motor- with a double reduction drive. So I need to make a pair of sheaves. Should be able to get 75 at 500, which would be fine for the servo motor. Off to ebay to find a 7 or 8 inch round slug or a piece of cast plate.

Is the range of the servo motor enough to go from cast iron SPFM to aluminum or wood SPFM without gear change? That is my dilemma.

Is the range of the servo motor enough to go from cast iron SPFM to aluminum or wood SPFM without gear change? That is my dilemma.
Oh most certainly yes. The motor I pulled was 1720 rpm or something close. These motors are spec'd for 500-3000 RPM, but Dan (Custom Crafter) says they're stable from 300-3500 and recommends that range. It's a servo motor, so torque everywhere.

The wood saw in my case had highway gears, so I need to get a bit of reduction going. The more the better, reallly, like 20:1.

Back