POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Decided to try to make the end cap myself... I had some leftover stainless steel... using the dies from the hydraulic punch thingy... Let's give this a try.

Using the cutter die upside down and the 20-Ton press

WV-8.jpeg

Forgot to take this photo when I did it, but here is recreating what I did...

WV-11.jpeg

Looks like I placed the sheet too close to the border, but it should work for the cap...

WV-9.jpeg
WV-10.jpeg

Just need to cut and test fit...

Last edited:
Hit up the local NAPA for a freeze plug if that doesn't work out. I have read that's a common work around.
Went to several local autoparts stores and they did not have one that big... I will try a NAPA store...

Jamie, when pressing that, you might want to try oil. coat the whole area in a light oil, when it pulls in and stretches it will slip a little easier. That might help get a nicer piece.
I did not see this in time... I will keep that in mind for the next one... If I can't find it in NAPA

First try was a good idea but came out too big...

WV-12.jpeg

Second try, need to test... first I need to cut it and press it again all the way to clean up the edges...

WV-13.jpeg

I find beeswax to be very sticky. Never a lube in my book.
The stuff that Woodcraft, craft stores and local beekeepers sell is soft (more intended for waxing thread of as a wood finish); what we used at Raymark to keep stuff from sticking to tooling was a hard block (I have my lifetime supply).

The stuff that Woodcraft, craft stores and local beekeepers sell is soft (more intended for waxing thread of as a wood finish); what we used at Raymark to keep stuff from sticking to tooling was a hard block (I have my lifetime supply).
I get bees wax from friends who have hives. It's hard, but sticky when I rub it on something.
I use mineral spirits and mix it to make a finish.

I get bees wax from friends who have hives. It's hard, but sticky when I rub it on something.
I use mineral spirits and mix it to make a finish.
Or soap/lard/beeswax/stick cutting lube (like for saw blades)

I find beeswax to be very sticky. Never a lube in my book.

Oh man... I would have never thought about using Bees wax for that... I use it only to treat the wenge wood handles in my espresso machine... and after doing so, I just need a few minutes alone for myself :D...

Beeswax.jpeg

Back to the cap for the vise. I was able to buy a shallow freeze plug at the local NAPA... did all the transaction online and will pick it up tomorrow as they are closed today due to the hurricane.

Last edited:
Back