POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Warning, rant mode on.

I made a freeking mess. Trying to turn National Hardware steel into some small parts. It's impossible to turn that half inch rod into anything.

I broke a center drill, busted three carbide inserts, spun the material in the collet chuck a dozen times, broke a cutoff tool, and spun a drill in the drill chuck several times. Tapping it, flet like the tap nearly broke.

Tried looking it up, and it "meets astm A510". But stupid Google search doesn't show anything for that spec, except 1000 stupid sponsored ads.

What kind ot import recycled garbage is this stuff???

Not happy with that junk, Google right now...

Tried looking it up, and it "meets astm A510". But stupid Google search doesn't show anything for that spec, except 1000 stupid sponsored ads.

What kind ot import recycled garbage is this stuff???

Welcome to the world of American industrial standards. It's part of the reason the world is going to EN/EC specs, they are free to read and access worldwide, and are fine examples of homologation in industry. The American business model is based on control and exclusivity, and the word "proprietary" is the highest level of profit-protecting sanctimony. (End my part of the rant).

Attached is the ASTM A510. Basically covers low carbon mild steel, including 1018. It's nothing special, sort of like A36. Maybe you got a heat affected piece and it can be normalized by annealing?

Attachments

• ASTM-A510_A510M__13.pdf
    100.6 KB · Views: 7
I broke a center drill, busted three carbide inserts, spun the material in the collet chuck a dozen times, broke a cutoff tool, and spun a drill in the drill chuck several times. Tapping it, flet like the tap nearly broke.
Other than all of this , hope you had a great day ! :)This is a normal day when on the job .

Other than all of this , hope you had a great day ! :)This is a normal day when on the job .
Thanks. I appreciate that. Although, things did continue down hill unfortunately. It was one of those days where you're looking for the reset button!

I play with Ti-6Al4V, Stainless Tool steels (440C, CPM154, CPM3V, and the like), as well as high carbon, and 41xx, and even HRC 60+ hard turning, drilling 65HRC,Milling HSS hardened with carbide, etc. Tapping #0-80 in 6Al4VTi is easier than tapping this at 1/4-20! Really weird day.

ASTM A510: Thanks. So, basically a bar of 1010/1018 kicks my butt. Go figure. It did turn a weird chip, seemed way harder and tougher than I'd expect for any 101x steel. I think someone pulled a bait and switch at the hardware store or their supplier!

I thought about 'annealing' it into a puddle, letting it cool, then chucking into the lake. Remember those corona commercials with the cell phone? Might still do that... ;)

I've been working mostly with A36. Mostly junk, but you can't beat the price I got it for.
Most of the time, it machines like warm butter. Easy to cut, but mushes all over the place. But, the consistency makes me think that it got mixed as it was extruded. You hit pockets that are hard as granite. It's like a heat affected zone, except it is obvious that no work has been done on the part.

I've been working mostly with A36. Mostly junk, but you can't beat the price I got it for.
Most of the time, it machines like warm butter. Easy to cut, but mushes all over the place. But, the consistency makes me think that it got mixed as it was extruded. You hit pockets that are hard as granite. It's like a heat affected zone, except it is obvious that no work has been done on the part.
A36 is often equal to or better than 1018 HR. The difference is 1018 is an American specification for metal composition, and A36 is the EN/EC specification for metal performance. The real world performance of both alloys is near identical, but A36 can exceed the alloying components prescribed by AWS. A36 is considered a pot metal by some, because it may contain high strength or high alloy composition (whatever ends up in the melt as long as it meets the minimum). Because of this, I think A36 can machine better than 1018, and since it is based on a minimum performance spec, can exceed the strengths of 1018, which is the lowest common basis of the two.

One other thing I try to do when picking a piece of material is select hot rolled over cold rolled. The grain of the steel is more uniform in hot rolled for two major reasons- the cold rolled grain only restructures to a shallow depth, making it uneven to machine, and also cold does not stress-relieve as hot-rolling does. So that's something to consider too.

Back