POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Whipped up this little diddy today. Took inspiration from Joe Pie's video.
20230920_161907.jpg20230920_161944.jpg
I had a couple of slitting saw blades in my collection, but no arbor. Its 1018 CRS, 3/4 shank about 4" long if I need the reach. Set up for 1" bored saws as thats what I have. Used my new 4 jaw and centers to get this thing running true to a couple of tenths.

After yesterdays machining fiasco, I opted to do something different. First and foremost, I voided a warranty!
Voided.jpg

This is hobby machinist fare, I promise! It's for the new CAD machine here in the shop.
Attached a CPU to a main board with one of these aluminum retention brackets, rather than the stock intel spring loaded job. I really wasn't happy with the amount of force the spring puts on the board. It actually bends the carrier behind the CPU and some claim that they actually bend the CPU. This is bad for cooling, because the CPU doesn't mate well with the cooler.

Anyway, this bracket is very nicely machined and anodized. As is the bottom of the CPU cooler. This is supposed to be a monster air cooler, and it really appears to be well built. Perhaps I should lap the mating surface???
NiceCPUBracket.jpgNiceCPUCooler.jpg

Overall, it went together well. This is the fourth one of this exact system (except the CPU cooler) I'm building this week. The others were at work. . One more next week next week at home for someone else.
It turns out pretty clean, all things considered. I did drop in a Nvidia T1000 4Gb Video card.
CleanBuild.jpg

All good, Except for the stupid CPU cooler comes with unicorn-puking-rainbow fans!
Ahhhhh! MY EYES, I CAN'T SEE!
Those are going to get replaced with a better, blacker, non-flashing, non-epilepsy causing, higher CFM fan ASAP!
OhNo_StabMyEyesOut.jpg

But until then, it'll run some ram tests.

Warning, rant mode on.

I made a freeking mess. Trying to turn National Hardware steel into some small parts. It's impossible to turn that half inch rod into anything.

I broke a center drill, busted three carbide inserts, spun the material in the collet chuck a dozen times, broke a cutoff tool, and spun a drill in the drill chuck several times. Tapping it, flet like the tap nearly broke.

Tried looking it up, and it "meets astm A510". But stupid Google search doesn't show anything for that spec, except 1000 stupid sponsored ads.

What kind ot import recycled garbage is this stuff???

Not happy with that junk, Google right now...
wow you use google search... try duck duck go.. what google used to be, although they are starting to slide to the dark side too.

Anyway, this bracket is very nicely machined and anodized. As is the bottom of the CPU cooler. This is supposed to be a monster air cooler, and it really appears to be well built. Perhaps I should lap the mating surface???
Thermal grease will help with heat transfer.

Thermal grease will help with heat transfer.
Thermal paste is a MUST. However thermal past is NOT aluminum or copper in terms of heat transfer. Metal to Metal contact with molecularity thin layer of paste to fill the voids is optimum. Paste vs. air gaps, paste is WAAAAY better but it's still not metal.

Interestingly, the pattern shows the heat sink surface was turned on a lathe with the center at the center of the heat sink. Is that intentional to provide a small 'cone' to increase load at the middle??? Now you have me thinking. Now I'm wishing I'd have thrown it on the surface plate to check it out.

No special purpose to that. They just make it pretty smooth unless it's very expensive it's pretty common to lap the base of the heatsink, and in high overclocks, the CPU as well, but it's honestly not going to matter for what you're doing.

Last edited:
Still emptying boxes out in the garage today . No wonder that Vidmar flipped ! 10 years worth of drills , taps and end mills in the top drawers . I think I came up with a storage solution for now before unloading this stuff . And I found a replacement 6mm deep dish socket for the Proto set I brought home . That missing socket has been buggin me for 3 years . :grin:

Back