POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

extropic

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
@Winegrower

Congratulations on your bending tooling and success.

May I recommend, for the next time, filling the tube with a low temperature melting alloy (Cerrobend) which will maintain the roundness and full flow of the tube. Wear your safety glasses when handling the heated alloy.

brino

Confirmed Tool User
May I recommend, for the next time, filling the tube with a low temperature melting alloy (Cerrobend) which will maintain the roundness and full flow of the tube. Wear your safety glasses when handling the heated alloy.

.........but @Winegrower 's bends look perfect from here!
There was no kinking or collapse of the tube.

I guess it's all down to this:
maintain the roundness and full flow of the tube

There is extra pain, expense and time of buying new materials, melting, filling, cooling, and then re-melting to remove.
Sometimes it may be required, other times not.
It really depends on the project.

Thanks,
-brino

Last edited:

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
The groove is 0.125 deep, so when the rollers are in position it’s basically a nice round circle that’s formed, exactly the diameter of the tube. I intentionally placed the rollers just slightly further apart than exactly 0.75 so the tube could get started easier. Yep, occasionally I can plan ahead.

Brino is right, the tube really did turn out great, and I’m also happy to get extropics reference to Cerrobend, for possible future reference.

rwm

Robert
I have never tried low MP metal for tube bending. Does it work well? I have some on hand. I would think it could split the tubing?
Robert

Last edited:

extropic

Active User
I have never tried low MP metal for tube bending. Does it work well? I have some on hand. I would think it could split the tubing?
Robert
It works very well in difficult to bend circumstances such as tight radiuses. It is not a universal guarantee to bend any dimension of any material.

If the tube is split while using Cerrobend, I suggest it would certainly kink if not filled with Cerrobend.

The trickiest part of using Cerrobend is getting it into very small diameter tubes. I have filled a Pyrex tube (vertical) with Cerrobend and immersed the workpiece to fill it. Then plug the top end of the workpiece and extract it. It is much simpler if the workpiece is large enough to pour the Cerrobend into while concurrently allowing the displaced air to vent. Low temperature alloys are also used to support/backup features of a machined part too thin to withstand tool pressure without deformation.

Take extreme care and wear full coverage PPE if experimenting with molten Cerrobend. You don't want to be splashed with 117°+ F molten metal.

Tio Loco

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
More welding practice... a new base for my aged, still being resurrected, CalKing horizontal band saw.

Cut up the last of my stash of lab table legs (see https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...in-your-shop-today.67833/page-511#post-886970) and reconfigured into a usable, human height base that is actually mobile.

While I was at it, re-routed the a/c cord to the bottom of the saw, and out the back side so I'm not constantly tripping on it while trying to use the it. Still want to make a catch tray for the saw poop, but that may be a 3d printer job.

PXL_20211018_193325054.jpg

PXL_20211018_193401855.jpg

rwm

Robert
why not just use sand? Rather than having to melt the cerrobend twice?
I have tried sand with poor results (kinking.) The Cerrobend melts in boiling water so it is not a big deal to melt/remove it. I'll give it a shot next opportunity.
Robert

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock