POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Get busy printing some change gears, or is now the time for ELS?

Reactions: rwm
Made a concrete pad for my leaning rain water tank, which was my first time working with concrete. Used some spare 1/2” rebar held about an inch off the ground as reinforcement
IMG_1003.jpegIMG_1004.jpeg
Also noticed a leaking outdoor tap. What a pita that turned out to be. The sealing surface was pitted, so turned that down on the lathe
IMG_1002.jpeg
Then I couldn’t get the screw holding the seal out and in the process of drill that put I snapped the drill bit. So I had to cut THAT out with a carbide endmill, followed by tapping for a new screw. Phew! Thankfully it all worked and the tap doesn’t leak anymore.

Yea, I'm not sure of the diameter
Also, the thread form most likely wouldn’t work: threads on the can/cap are rolled with a round profile - could grind a tool to replicate the profile for single-pointing.

If you cut a low tolerance 7 or 8 it might work just find for the few threads that it takes to tighten it.
Negative. For fun I turned an 8TPI. No way was it going on. The can spout has 3 total threads.
Under Goofs and Blunders I should include doing research on solvent compatibility before making gaskets. I assumed silicone rubber would resist acetone....WRONG. It is rated unsuitable. I also have some Neoprene; also WRONG. Now I need to buy some EPDM rubber. Painful cause I only need a piece that is 2 x 2"

EDIT: Just for fun look up the price for Kalrez. It is a synthetic rubber made by Dupont. Very solvent resistant. McMaster sells a 6 x 6 inch sheet for $1700! By weight that is well above gold and maybe platinum.

Last edited:
Back