POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I had to try the threaded cap idea:

1705547573797.png

1705547602015.png

Because it is thin wall tubing, I selected a 28 TPI pitch. I probably would have been fine with 20 TPI. But it works, nice and smooth. I need to solder the flange onto it.

I had to try the threaded cap idea:

View attachment 474726

View attachment 474727

Because it is thin wall tubing, I selected a 28 TPI pitch. I probably would have been fine with 20 TPI. But it works, nice and smooth. I need to solder the flange onto it.
that looks awesome. Put a light knurl on the cap to make it easier to grip..

You have to make one of these. The pressure it applies is awesome and makes perfect knurls.
I found it very easy to make without any plans.

I'm gonna call it finished!

View attachment 474749
View attachment 474750
And it doesn't leak!

If it isn't leaking acetone, then you should be good!

Been thinking about a very similar project for a bunch of gas and diesel cans I have around here. The plastic cans are in great shape, the nozzle, not so much. Replacements are all aftermarket, and junk. Something like this (with a hose) would be a great way to fix that problem!

If it isn't leaking acetone, then you should be good!

Been thinking about a very similar project for a bunch of gas and diesel cans I have around here. The plastic cans are in great shape, the nozzle, not so much. Replacements are all aftermarket, and junk. Something like this (with a hose) would be a great way to fix that problem!
I think you could easily do that but for high volume flow like a gas can you need a return path for air to get back to the can. Alternatively you can buy those plastic vents and install one on the can.

I think you could easily do that but for high volume flow like a gas can you need a return path for air to get back to the can. Alternatively you can buy those plastic vents and install one on the can.

Had been thinking about including a smaller hose within the larger hose for the vent. I did make an upgrade for a 2 gallon saw gas can that didn't have the vent and it's fine for the chainsaw and weed trimmers. But yeah, a vent would could be nice for the gas cans.

The diesel cans don't even need a spout, just a cover. The tractor takes the can without the spout! They were really thinking about that one when they did it. Almost as fast as filling a racecar! lol.

Does anybody know what the thread is on the acetone can shown above? It seems to be between 6 and 8 TPI so maybe it's metric? Has anyone made a new cap for a container like this?

Back