POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

As the lathes inaugural project, I did some simple drilling. I had picked up an older air rifle that was missing a weight on the front (probably why I got it so cheap).

I didn't want just anything hanging off the front end, but at least a close match to the very nice bluing of the rifle. I found a Daisy 753 end weight, which also included a tunnel sight. But it was too small interior diameter wise. So, I drilled it out. Taking measurements, it needed to go out to 9/16" and needed two inches length inside.

Chucked up

finished project mounted

Whole rifle.

Knocking a few small pending projects... tonight it was shaping the engine block seal cap so it would clear the screw on the Wilton vise. This was a vise I purchased without the cap. Original one is more cone shaped than flat.

I still want to work it a bit more, but it fits, it clears the screw... so it is working fine for now. I do not have a ball pein hammer here, so had to do with a small regular hammer and a block of wood that I carved a shape into it... amazing how metal is easily shaped with constant small hits...

When I get the ball pein hammer I will finish it and then sand the outside so I can get rid of those marks...

View attachment 478063
View attachment 478065
When forming or straightening sheet metal, I refer to it as "coaxing" the metal into shape. Not "forcing" it.

Is it big enough for all your toys? Hard to tell from the pics if you're going to be able to double-stack the roadsters and still have room to work. Maybe a lean-to for the motor bikes hiding in the build?
:laughing:

Is it big enough for all your toys? Hard to tell from the pics if you're going to be able to double-stack the roadsters and still have room to work. Maybe a lean-to for the motor bikes hiding in the build?
:laughing:

It's not possible to build a shop big enough...

But having a shop is a very fun exercise in "making do with the space you have".

I have an 1800 square foot shop, a 16x16 shed, an 8x10 shed, a 30x30 garage, and a 2100 square foot basement... and I'm considering selling my Yamaha Rhino to clear up another 40 square feet of space...

-Bear

Back