POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Been there done that!
so have I - you'd think I would have learned by now!
Nice welds. That's nothing but a scratch. (Monty Python)
Those must be those new fangled welding socks and open toes shoes I heard about on those pro welding sites ;)

edit: I had a friend who came over to have me weld up his tranny crossmember, he came over with sandals.. between the grinding and welding he was dancing ... He then wanted to do some welding himself... That was a total mistake.
they're weldment proximity sensors. They let you know if you're standing too close to the thing you're welding :D

@mattthemuppet2

You made me curious. For others also curious:

pretty sure that's the exact same one. The owner has three, including this one, and the guide wheels on the ends of the beam cause a lot of problems (not sure what, but problems) so we're replacing them with solid steel guides. Not sure how it'll work out, but it's been a fun project. Never milled something that was 5ft long before.

I spent Sunday installing a shelf with a built in concrete for onto the wife's wood lathe to add 260 pounds of mass with integrated wood blank and tool storage. This will increase the machines mass by 50% and lower its CG to 22" above the floor from 38"..... For this machine it really was a safety issue.

I spent Sunday installing a shelf with a built in concrete for onto the wife's wood lathe to add 260 pounds of mass with integrated wood blank and tool storage. This will increase the machines mass by 50% and lower its CG to 22" above the floor from 38"..... For this machine it really was a safety issue.
After Chazz's thread about Tool Anon, Tool Aholics, and my statement about Wiley Coyote, all I can think about is that concrete shelf landing on your head (like the anvil) and pounding you into the ground and the big cloud of dust... Sorry..

Pics?

Got some large scale machining and welding practice this weekend, helping a friend rebuild a commercial pallet stripper

Machining the ends flat and parallel. My view from the skid steerView attachment 483417View attachment 483418View attachment 483419

Then welding on th guide plates and supports View attachment 483420View attachment 483421View attachment 483422View attachment 483423View attachment 483424View attachment 483425View attachment 483426
Welding Proximity Sensors! I love it!

And a repeat lesson why guards on angle grinders are a good thing. Now I’ll have matching scars on both index fingersView attachment 483431View attachment 483432
One of my brothers nearly cut his arm off due to a 7" grinder catching on the work. He spent six hours in the OR having a neurosurgeon reconnect all of his nerves and tendons. They said he would be lucky to regain 40% of his arm use. He got 90%, because that is the way he was. When he came home from the hospital, he literally walked out to the shop, threw every grinder with a lock-on switch into the garbage, and bought paddle switch grinders to replace them.

Nice welds. That's nothing but a scratch. (Monty Python)
Those must be those new fangled welding socks and open toes shoes I heard about on those pro welding sites ;)

edit: I had a friend who came over to have me weld up his tranny crossmember, he came over with sandals.. between the grinding and welding he was dancing ... He then wanted to do some welding himself... That was a total mistake.

‘Tis nothing but a scratch……

Got some large scale machining and welding practice this weekend, helping a friend rebuild a commercial pallet stripper

Machining the ends flat and parallel. My view from the skid steerView attachment 483417View attachment 483418View attachment 483419

Then welding on th guide plates and supports View attachment 483420View attachment 483421View attachment 483422View attachment 483423View attachment 483424View attachment 483425View attachment 483426

Matt, you moved to South Carolina (Spartanburg)?

Back