POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

The Model A Ford had the gas tank in your lap - it was between the hood and the windshield and the instrument panel was mounted to the back of it. My older brother and I (age 14) bought a 1929 Roadster Pickup to drive to school, and I drove it and a 1928 Sport Coupe until I was in my mid-20's. Other than the filler cap being a little hard to reach, it was never a problem.

The only problem I ever heard of a Model A gas tank was reported by a fellow who had pumped gas in the 1930's. It was a hot day and the windshield had been tipped open at the bottom, which was they way cool air was vented in. A lady was sitting in the passenger seat. She lit a cigarette and then flicked the still-burning match out through the gap at the bottom of the windshield, straight through the column of vapor coming out of the open cap and hose nozzle as the tank filled. She died in the explosive fire, and the pump jockey who told me the tale received serious burns.
Dad had a think 36 ford in high school. Took very pretty popular girl on date. On a dark road he reached under dash and cut gas off. Car died. He made his move. Girl reached and turned gas back on. Not her first rodeo.

Fuel tanks in the cab were common to most all of the older trucks. Life was just more exciting back in the day. ;) Mike
Ford have a long history of fuel tanks in the cabin, starting, I believe with the "A" model having the tank in the dashboard.

Dear Dave @mmcmdl ,
please accept my humblest apologies for all the ribbing I give you about cleaning up. I am failing miserably in cleaning up my storage area for the new heatpump and heater (backup). Everytime I try to make headway I get distracted by some other shiny thing, and it goes sideways real fast. Then I have a new project to clean up (that new mess I just made). I am not making headway, I did the first day maybe the second, but the rest is a disaster. They can replace the unit, they can't run a gas line yet.. But I won't be busting your chops any more.....

oh who am I kidding, it'll still be fun to bust you, but I've now conceded, it's a daunting problem... And know you're not alone.

Ford have a long history of fuel tanks in the cabin, starting, I believe with the "A" model having the tank in the dashboard.
The Model T had the gas tank under the seat. In 1932, Ford moved the gas tank to the frame at the back of the car, under the trunk on many models. Jeep had the gas tank under the driver's seat for years. There is a famous WWII Army combat film of a soldier driving a Jeep to get away from an artillery barrage with the gas tank spouting flames.

Dear Dave @mmcmdl ,
please accept my humblest apologies for all the ribbing I give you about cleaning up. I am failing miserably in cleaning up my storage area for the new heatpump and heater (backup).
LMAO ! Just had both houses done Jeff . :grin: The one basement is pretty cleared out at this point . 3 roll arounds , a radial arm saw and a Diacro shear is left . And a 30 ton hydraulic press , and tons of wood . I have a 2 year old AirTemp/Goodman AC unit down here that I have to get rid of now also . Re-arranged the garage yesterday in hopes of some things leaving this summer . My basement ? We won't go there . :rolleyes: I like the heat pumps so far . Bills are higher but no longer a slave to the oil delivery company .

Brought over the lift from the other house...

Lift-2.jpeg
W70.jpeg

Finished the first 4' of wall around all the shop... installing 2-gang boxes and running conduit is next...

W68.jpeg
W72.jpeg

So took Sunday to relax... but ended up removing carpet and padding and installing bamboo flooring in one of the rooms...

H2.jpeg

H1.jpeg

These came in handy... :D

Ouch lol.jpeg

Last edited:
What kind of heat pumps are you guys installing?
The manufacturer ? Not sure , I just looked and saw Carrier books along with Beckett . The one installed in my place is a pump with oil backup. The one down the other house is a pump with electric backup .

Back