POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Variable compressor should help a bunch in that case. An extra half ton isn't a huge difference. Air to Air, guessing you'll pay an efficiency penalty on the hottest and coldest days of the year. But those will be offset by gains during more moderate days on both ends.

There was a fully variable unit available when I did this 2 stage unit. Efficiency improvements while better were small, so cost wise it didn't pay. Knowing what I know now, I might have gone that path for variable speed during cooling.

The one downside I've heard of for a heat pump over propane/oil, is combustion would tend to disinfect air. Blowing that air over hot tubes kills microbes, etc. No evidence to back that up, however. Just something someone mentioned to me once.
I'm sure it does kill more. Again I have a propane backup, so I'll get that sometimes.
We all see how it goes, I can always add an air purifier later. More money than installing it now. But I don't want to pay until I know for sure.

I looked at ground-source heat pumps in 2010 when we built. The cost was over $20,000 higher than air source, even if I dug the trenches for the closed-loop system myself. The trenches would have been hundreds of feet long. The ground is about 55 degrees around here at 10 feet deep, which is about ideal for a heat pump. It just didn't pencil out.

We installed an air-source, variable speed system with electric boosters. Having an unlimited amount of firewood, we use wood for primary heat and use the HVAC system to circulate the air. We use the AC in the hottest months only during the peak heat of the day, since the nights are cool and we open the windows after the outside air cools off. The wood heat keeps us plenty warm if the power goes out.

We also have an unlimited supply of ground water that is 55 degrees at 10 feet deep. I looked into using that for the HVAC, but in Oregon you are not allowed to use it, even if you use a system built of food-grade components! The State considers any such use to be "contaminating" the ground water! But you can put in a septic system as long as there is a reasonable distance from a well. We live on 230 acres, with no close neighbors. This is crazy.

Busted ash today . Cut both yards , Picked up limbs and burned them , Weed whacked the firepit and garden , Talked to club members . Will be putting in 3 horseshoe pits . The JD project is now $325 . Whatched the new house across the street bring in at LEAST 500 yards of top soil . Got pics of the eclipse . Ran the weed whacker and the small 2 stroke generator . Both started and ran . I'll pull more out tomorrow .

Attachments

• IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    618.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1198 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1198 - Copy.JPG
    763 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    604.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    641.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    500.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    700.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    705.8 KB · Views: 17
500 yards... holy schnikes. That's a lot of top soil. I have one of those little generators. Pain in the arse to start after sitting, but quiet and a good little generator..

Completed a PM-1340GT replacement control system, more than a couple of days work. Included a Tachometer, spider, wired the VFD cabinet components up and tested everything. This system uses a long range 30mm proximity sensor, seems like the Concentrix ones that I typically use has a back order time of 4-6 weeks. Another reason why I am not doing these types of systems anymore due to the build time, sourcing parts and increasing cost of materials. This was for a build requested last year.

1712623730436.png

Got a few more parts finished for the Cat '0' build.
The drawbar support plates and 2 pair of anti sway cam plates.

Attachments

• IMG_0088[1].JPG
    IMG_0088[1].JPG
    472.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0092[1].JPG
    IMG_0092[1].JPG
    362.1 KB · Views: 17
Busted ash today . Cut both yards , Picked up limbs and burned them , Weed whacked the firepit and garden , Talked to club members . Will be putting in 3 horseshoe pits . The JD project is now $325 . Whatched the new house across the street bring in at LEAST 500 yards of top soil . Got pics of the eclipse . Ran the weed whacker and the small 2 stroke generator . Both started and ran . I'll pull more out tomorrow .
It sounds to me like you are suffering from Retirement Derangement Syndrome.

Rick “now less motivated to retire if this is what it means” Denney

Another reason why I am not doing these types of systems anymore due to the build time, sourcing parts and increasing cost of materials. This was for a build requested last year.
Does this mean you're getting out of building upgrades, or just something about this specific one?

Phasing out doing these VFD systems for the smaller lathes1236/1340/1440, just doing an occasional one-off type.

Back