POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

The square root of bugger all...

We've had the grandson (8 months old) Sunday and Monday (public holiday here in the UK).

First time Fred's overnighted away from home without his mum and dad.

Remarkably serene given all that; which isn't to say he hasn't been a little anxious occasionally but we've had more than our fair share of smiles and chuckles these past couple of days and he seemed entirely happy to do his normal sleep the night through, last night.

Been lots of fun and we'll both miss the funny little fella, but I'll admit to looking forward to his mum and dad picking him up so I can get on a bit.:grin:

The square root of bugger all...

We've had the grandson (8 months old) Sunday and Monday (public holiday here in the UK).

First time Fred's overnighted away from home without his mum and dad.

Remarkably serene given all that; which isn't to say he hasn't been a little anxious occasionally but we've had more than our fair share of smiles and chuckles these past couple of days and he seemed entirely happy to do his normal sleep the night through, last night.

Been lots of fun and we'll both miss the funny little fella, but I'll admit to looking forward to his mum and dad picking him up so I can get on a bit.:grin:
that's what's great about grandkids. You get to enjoy them, and when they wear you out, you get to give em back.

Took it easy today, basking in the warmth of all of the "Thank You for Your Service" emails, so just a little project. I posted some ideas on the "Northern" Forum last week about holding angle blocks in place to tram a milling vise to a specific angle (here and here), and got frustrated looking for the SHCS length I was looking for – I did have them organized, but not labelled; however, thanks to this purchase, I fixed that problem:

20240527 Help Me Stop Labelling.jpeg

Do I need an intervention?

Took it easy today, basking in the warmth of all of the "Thank You for Your Service" emails, so just a little project. I posted some ideas on the "Northern" Forum earlier this week about holding angle blocks in place to tram a milling vise to a specific angle (here and here), and got frustrated looking for the SHCS length I was looking for – I did have them organized, but not labelled; however, thanks to this purchase, I fixed that problem:

View attachment 491562

Do I need an intervention?
yea, that's just too much for me. The only thing that I need is a label telling me the thread .. the rest is way too much overkill. I can look at it and know. Also even though I have all different lengths because I bought an estate sale, if I need to buy something, I get the long length and cut it down. That way I don't need so many sizes. That's just too anal for me Chazz. you do need an intervention.. someone take away his labeler.

Stainless steel poker for getting lobsters out of the reef. Not for me; for a friend. Apparently there is risk in blindly putting your hand inside crevices.
1716846942139.png
1716846973141.png
Contemplating another in either carbon fiber or titanium.

More progress on the backhoe...

We had epoxied a coller to the doubler yesterday with the hope that it would hold until we could get it into the mill.

Nope, it got stuck to the pin that was holding it, darn it!

But it was not all bad. We kept basting it with the epoxy. As it was dripping, we would use a stick to put it back on top.

Managed to get a good area coated, so, lucky us, a film remained that had cracked, part on the coller and part on the doubler, so we were able to get it in the right spot like a puzzle piece.

Used the boring bar to carefully get it lined up, then switched to a hole saw to cut out the slugs, then boring bar to finish.

Fit was PERFECT!

We can not buy a lotto ticket for a month now...

We cut out material from behind the reference bushing hole as well as removed some of the weld bead to get the doubler to get close.

Used the holes we drilled to keep the pair aligned for milling to attach, drilled, and tapped for 1/2 bolts.

When we drilled the lower one, water came out, need to drill a drain hole or find our how the water got in, we could use a bolt hole to pressurize it and see where it leaks, another project.

All of the hard work is now done. I still need to do some shaping at the top

Before someone comments about the doubler not fully surrounding the pin...

We went to the steel yard and requested a remnant plate, 7/16 or 1/2 about 1 ft x 3 ft or so, a bit bigger would be better.

They had something about 12 x 48 or so.

We made 2 cardboard templates, marked the center, and placed the templates tops in to take advantage of their angle.

The size is bigger than planned. The primary force on the partial pin is towards the doubler, so it is good as is, and it makes for second reference to keep alignment perfect.
6aaee54332b015c340cd2958613929e3.jpg
f6f91620a9a0e0243fa68fbf2cd58132.jpg
2689eca9c881246e21e20f25534d8e77.jpg
26a65cba33cf8362fbe72223b2043d6f.jpg
839886cb5d0cca992314407b09fc084f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I finished my grinder bench. Have a lovely shade of Lavender as the finish. As I went this morning to get a gallon of White paint. When I saw it was $60 for some cheap paint. I opted for what was in the return section. This was my option. Only $10. The good thing is my wife likes the color so she can use it to paint one of the bedroom walls.

Next weekend I will swap out and get that all set up.
ef5189edf110a701dc94df6485f67581.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

I made a dial for the lead screw I made for my Hardinge DV-59 lathe. Just need to stamp numbers on it.
IMG_2813.jpeg

Made a bump roller from the one guide that was on my homemade steady rest that came with my lathe. Just had to mill it square.
IMG_2812.jpeg

Finished an indicator holder for the mill.
IMG_2815.jpegIMG_2814.jpeg

Back