Power feed won't run when quick change gearbox is engaged

Can I just use a punch and press out the shaft enough to pull the first gear? What is the likelihood I destroy a bearing or something in there?

Most likely there is damage to the shaft and the gear bearing, you will not know until you take is all apart and inspect it. Most likely the damage is significant since it is frozen. You need to check the shaft concentricity/wear and the support bearings. You can take it apart and photograph the steps, can wire the gears with tags for the order, or how ever you want.

Take cell phone pictures for yourself at *every* step. You can delete them later if you don’t need them, but you can’t take them later if you need them.

Well, here's the gear at the end, the one that I'm pretty positive was seized on the shaft. You can see there's a bit of a rough spot in the bushing. I'm wondering if it'd be enough to just reinstall it now, or should I try to resurface the bushing a bit? Remember, I'm not a machinist, and I have no other machinery that I could use to repair this one. I do have a dremel and a sanding wheel, or a bit of sandpaper rolled up...?

IMG_20210717_202726.jpg

Looks heavily galled on the inside. I’d want to do something more robust than just putting it back in as I doubt it will run true like that. Is that a pressed in bushing in the center of the gear? I’d be thinking about making a new bushing out of 954 bronze, and if necessary boring this one out to press in bushing. Theoretically you could do that by hand feeding without using the QCGB, although you might need that installed just to keep the feedrod and leadscrew from flopping around.

How do the shaft and other gears look?

I didn't pull the shaft far enough to get the next set of gears off (they're ganged together, looks like, which I think is common for these things? The other gears moved nicely on the shaft, though, so I think it's probably safe to assume they're better off than this one.

So, I had to leave this project for a bit (summer vacation with the kids), but I got back to it.

I checked the shaft, and it looked fine. I then put together a makeshift flapwheel out of a dremel sander and a bit of 1000-grit sandpaper, and used that to clean up the inside of the gear (very lightly and carefully!). I reassembled it, oiled it up, and I am happy to report that it is now working great.

Back