Power tapping with mill

kmanuele

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am able to power tap aluminum, up to 1/4-20 so far, on my PM728. I tested 3/8-16 on steel, but it struggles and stalls.

It occurred to me that this would be a perfect application for a planetary gear reducer to increase output torque. But I don't see any marketed for this purpose.

Thoughts, ideas ?

thx

K

make your own.

Use spirol taps
Works for me, at least up to and including 5/8" so far

I am able to power tap aluminum, up to 1/4-20 so far, on my PM728. I tested 3/8-16 on steel, but it struggles and stalls.

It occurred to me that this would be a perfect application for a planetary gear reducer to increase output torque. But I don't see any marketed for this purpose.

Thoughts, ideas ?

thx

K
You might need more machine......

@kmanuele When I power tap in steel, I go for a 65% thread instead of a 75%. This significantly reduces the torque required to do the cutting, and results in fewer broken taps. By increasing your torque through a planetary reducer, you might be risking broken-tap-in-hole problem...

There's definitely something wrong with either the mill or the tap. I've tapped 3/8-16 holes in 1/2" and 3/4" mild steel with a hand drill and spiral point tap. You shouldn't be having trouble with a 1 hp mill (if it really puts out 1 hp) and a sharp HSS spiral point tap. Make sure you're using a machine tap i.e., spiral point for through holes, or spiral flute for blind holes. Standard hand taps have to be reversed every 1/4 to 1/2 turn to break the chips and allow them to collect in the flute. They will jam and break if attempting to continuously turn them in the forward direction.

I've tapped 5/8-11 holes with my 1 1/2 hp Bridgeport running on a static phase converter. The converter reduces the available hp by about 1/3 which would put it in the 1 hp range. I do admit that I run the mill at around 90 rpm and use a drill chuck and only tighten it to the point that the tap will slip if it hits a hard spot. So far minimal slippage and no breakage. Also, I use only name brand taps like Bosch, Greenfield, Cleveland, OSG, Champion, and more recently YG1.

There's definitely something wrong with either the mill or the tap. I've tapped 3/8-16 holes in 1/2" and 3/4" mild steel with a hand drill and spiral point tap. You shouldn't be having trouble with a 1 hp mill (if it really puts out 1 hp) and a sharp HSS spiral point tap. Make sure you're using a machine tap i.e., spiral point for through holes, or spiral flute for blind holes. Standard hand taps have to be reversed every 1/4 to 1/2 turn to break the chips and allow them to collect in the flute. They will jam and break if attempting to continuously turn them in the forward direction.

I've tapped 5/8-11 holes with my 1 1/2 hp Bridgeport running on a static phase converter. The converter reduces the available hp by about 1/3 which would put it in the 1 hp range. I do admit that I run the mill at around 90 rpm and use a drill chuck and only tighten it to the point that the tap will slip if it hits a hard spot. So far minimal slippage and no breakage. Also, I use only name brand taps like Bosch, Greenfield, Cleveland, OSG, Champion, and more recently YG1.

1 HP BLDC motor so it should be able to deliver full torque at low speed. It doesn't struggle when milling steel.

I tapped several M12x1.75 holes by hand in steel a while back (with a spiral flute tap). It went ok but a bit hard on the hands and shoulders with my standard tap wrench. So I thought my mill should be able to do up to 1/2, or close to it.

I only tried it once as a test with a straight tap, and it stalled. So maybe it was the tap as you suggest. I'll get some proper machine taps and see how it goes.

Thanks

K

1 HP BLDC motor so it should be able to deliver full torque at low speed. It doesn't struggle when milling steel.

I tapped several M12x1.75 holes by hand in steel a while back (with a spiral flute tap). It went ok but a bit hard on the hands and shoulders with my standard tap wrench. So I thought my mill should be able to do up to 1/2, or close to it.

I only tried it once as a test with a straight tap, and it stalled. So maybe it was the tap as you suggest. I'll get some proper machine taps and see how it goes.

Thanks

K
Are you using quality sharp taps or chinesium or worse, carbon steel hardware store taps?

Look around for tapping heads like Tapmatic or Procunier. You can find eBay deals. They have a built in clutch to prevent disaster, and a 2X auto reversing function that is extremely nice. I made an array of 1/2-13 threads in a 1.5" setup plate, aluminum, but good result in steel too, about as fast as you could work the handwheels and the quill feed. Spiral flute taps exclusively, prefer YG1 these days.

Back