Power tapping with mill

I only tried it once as a test with a straight tap, and it stalled. So maybe it was the tap as you suggest. I'll get some proper machine taps and see how it goes.

two questions, do you have the belts set to the low speed range? are you sure the motor stalled, or could it be the belt started to slip?

Are you using quality sharp taps or chinesium or worse, carbon steel hardware store taps?

I have a set of straight taps from Huot, been in my toolbox for decades, and a number of Hertel straight taps recently purchased. Not sure which brand I used for the test. The M12 spiral tap was from Hertel also.

1 HP BLDC motor so it should be able to deliver full torque at low speed. It doesn't struggle when milling steel.

I tapped several M12x1.75 holes by hand in steel a while back (with a spiral flute tap). It went ok but a bit hard on the hands and shoulders with my standard tap wrench. So I thought my mill should be able to do up to 1/2, or close to it.

I only tried it once as a test with a straight tap, and it stalled. So maybe it was the tap as you suggest. I'll get some proper machine taps and see how it goes.

Thanks

K
Straight taps=straight crap.

Meant for hand tapping only and only if you hate yourself at that.

Back