Power tool vs machine tool

If it's possible

• Total voters
Koi, buy a mill.
I'm going too but right know this is all I have die grinder a machine box(files ,carbide tipped chisel,small swivel vise , indicator block that I filed with the aid of a magnifier.)I'm gonna get a beefier version of the round column mill showed you on the last thread

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 33
Koi: some types of work are obviously impossible to do by hand, however many jobs are possible. There is a point at which you need an actual machine tool such as a lathe or milling machine. Really depends on what you need to accomplish, how often, how quickly and to what degree of precision
Mark
How about a die grinder for fast fast material removal and finish it if with hand tools like a file or sandpaper

Yes that is commonly done, but there is a practical limit on the amount of material removed- and the die grinder will drive you crazy with the noise and vibration
Large flat areas are not easily achieved by hand in a short time

Reactions: Koi
I can’t remember where, but I read about the requirement to enter into a machinist school in Europe around the turn of the century was making a perfect sphere with only a file.

• Wow
I took machine shop back in the 1970's in high school.

We had to turn in a block of steel 2" square that we made from a round bar. The only tool we were allowed to use was a Hack saw, a file, a caliper and machinists square. Had to get it to withing .005" on all dims to get an A had to get to within .015" to pass. It took me 2 weeks to get that passing grade and nope, it was not an A
Sounds like our teachers went to the same school. We didn't get to touch a machine until we could create a cube. Was where I first saw a surface plate and test indicator. We didn't get to use them, they were used in the grading.

Actually, the instructor was a Bob Haas. Was a lifetime and a coast away though.

A machine tool has at least one axis where a <cutting> tool can be moved linearly with great precision.

A skilled person and a hand file, can make better parts then many un skilled workers with a machine tool. I do not use the die grinder near as much as I did 30 years ago, but still consider it just another tool in my arsenal. I still do lots of work with a handfile, while sitting on the deck with the wife, watching the world go by. No timelines in my world.

This shows how little and simple machines can be used to make things. Also shows why gun confiscation will not get every gun off the streets. Back in High school metal shop, I made a simple 22LR pen gun, with a pull and let go firing system. Now days, a kid would be in big trouble for even thinking about it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
A perfect sphere with a file? That's like having to learn calculus to work in a grocery store
What are they making in the video- is that the Akbar Saturday night special?
Just shows what one can do when he puts his beard to it

Last edited:
  • Haha
I can’t remember where, but I read about the requirement to enter into a machinist school in Europe around the turn of the century was making a perfect sphere with only a file.
That's insane

Back