Power tool vs machine tool

If it's possible

• Total voters
Can edm be manually controlled? Btw

An interesting question. Normally EDM requires small precise movements. However, I wonder if you couldn't use a small electrode manually. The process would be somewhat like striking an arc with sick or TIG welding. A TIG tungsten in an insulted holder could be used to peck away at the corners of your hole. A chisel shaped electrode could be used as well to "carve" a flat wall. An interesting experiment I'll have to try.

Maybe some of the forum members who have dabbled with DIY EDM machines could comment?

I have dabbled with home-brew EDM, here and here.

My take: The EDM metal removal rate is very small (at least with my DIY rigs).
You would need to hold your electrode very stable for many minutes to hours.
Plus with the deluge of water (or other fluid) your visibility would be greatly impaired.

If you were to produce the bulk of the hole by other means, you could still finish with EDM for better corners, but I think you'd still want the electrode held and fed by machine.

-brino

Last edited:
I have dabbled with home-brew EDM, here and here.

My take: The EDM metal removal rate is very small (at least with my DIY rigs).
You would need to hold your electrode very stable for many minutes to hours.
Plus with the deluge of water (or other fluid) your visibility would be greatly impaired.

If you were to produce the bulk of the hole by other means, you could still finish with EDM for better corners, but I thinking you'd still want the electrode held and fed by machine.

-brino
[/QUOTE」
Thanks
:)

Oh yeah what part of the plane was build with file and sander ?
My dad used files and a disk sander instead of the Bridgeport milling machine he would have rather had.

Reactions: Koi
You guys are funny! I just got back from Florence, Italy, and saw the marble statue of DAVID. I’m pretty sure Michelangelo did not have a die grinder or any CNC stuff. It’s an incredible example of what hand tools can achieve...in the right hands. :)

You guys are funny! I just got back from Florence, Italy, and saw the marble statue of DAVID. I’m pretty sure Michelangelo did not have a die grinder or any CNC stuff. It’s an incredible example of what hand tools can achieve...in the right hands. :)
+1

I love the turn to the long lost idea of apprenticeships. I'd been holding off because the only guy I know who did a full on apprenticeship was my 80 something old neighbor down the street. I was finally able to find him in his garage tinkering today so I took my phone for some pix and decided to corner him about some specifics.

He had shown me some of his apprentice/journeyman projects his brother had gifted him before he passed. His brother worked as an apprentice instructor at a huge electrical manufacturer in Germany for many years. Horst, my neighbor, was apprenticed in '52 at the age of 16 to a nautical instrument maker in the repair shop. He remembered his project was to square a piece of bronze which he said to do with a file was all but impossible. But he kept at it on the side when he wasn't in class two days a week or working on the shop floor doing stuff for the journeymen or cleaning up. They worked 6 days a week and he made 30 marks a month. The apprenticeship lasted 3 1/2yrs. Because his father had a small shop with many machines and he was already familiar with all of them since he was 5yrs he was never forced to do the very basics.

In that shop they made sextants, the different gauges, thermometers, barometers, and compasses. He stayed there 7yrs in total then went into the aircraft industry making instruments for transports. From there he came to Canada, then the US doing aircraft instruments then ended up in the power generation industry and ended up working for PG&E at the local nuclear powerplant down the road from us. He is very humble about his abilities and makes incredible models of ships and RC aircraft. He also got into clock and watch repair.

Here's some of the apprentice/journeyman projects. The square was all made with files, a drill press and tap. The divider was filed too. Obviously the screw and knob were done with a lathe but notice the fit of the spring. It doesn't look soldered. The little vise is interesting in that it has a dovetail with gibs on the side. Notice too the dovetail is separate and dowel pinned and screwed into place. There is a clamp for clamping to a table. Notice the mortise joint which I think is silver soldered, but it's hard to tell. I know everything is a little rusty but they all have to be at least 60yrs old.
How did he file the try square with the aid of another try square or using math equation?

How did he file the try square with the aid of another try square or using math equation?
I believe they had all the necessary metrology equipment like precision squares, micrometers, surface plates etc. They made precision equipment for ship navigation so they had to have all that equipment. They were only limited in the tools they could make the pieces with and couldn't use shaper, mill or lathe. Only hacksaw, files, drill press and sandpaper.

Three really common 1st year apprentice tests were make a square from 3/8" plate, a 1" cube and a drill grinding guide, The only tolls allowed are a pedestal drill, scribe, scale, 45 degree set square, hacksaw, files and a vise .

Back