Powered Hacksaws

Here's mine. It's an "Excelsior 2-A" but strangely it actually looks just like the one in post #5. Wonder if they might be the same. hacksaw1.jpghacksaw2.jpgMine looks to have been modified slightly. It's currently not working. I got it for free in working but severely worn condition, and it was dropped and damaged while being loaded up on my trailer. Its one of the first things on my list...

hacksaw1.jpg

hacksaw2.jpg

Ken,

This is my Marvel #1 power hacksaw. It's one of the handiest tools in the shop, I would never want to be without it. Don't let the size fool you, very heavy and rigid and more important, cuts are very accurate. It's not the fastest cutting machine in the world, but neither am I. It has an auto stop switch so when cutting thick pieces of steel you can do something else while it does it's thing. I've used porta-bands and they are ok and faster, but not as accurate. As far as horizontal bandsaws go, all I've used are the small low end imports which in my opinion aren't worth the powder to blow them up with. I'm sure the larger higher quality ones are much better. Best 50 bucks I ever spent for the saw, stand, and extra Starrett blades you see in the picture. By the way, the blades last forever.:))

I guess I could say I have one up on you! I have the marvel #2 draw saw! I have done one upgrade I installed a UHMW block on the auto stop block to compensate for a little wear. Just like you said, not the fastest saw, but even a new Ellis band saw will not cut as accurate! The proof is in the pudding when you throw some stock up on the lathe and face it off! I had a band saw and wanted to get rid of this draw saw and my Girlfriend said NO WAY! So the Greenlee band saw is gone and this is staying! Has a square bar for the stroke bar, has grease cups on it, and when I inspect the bar it still looks like brand new! Not sure what year it is! The girlfriend says she saw something on it like 1928, or 1938. I think the electric motor on mine is newer. Amazing how these saws are able to keep cutting everyday, without a circuit board, that will fail and cost you $1000! Bob in Oregon

Picture 004.jpg Picture 002.jpg Picture 003.jpg

My Keller. It needs some work but it is functional and the price was right. One of these days when I get some time I will give it a good cleanup and going over. I picked it up on Craigs List about a year and it has already come in handy a few times.

IMG_1855.JPG

Here is my Peerless when I first got it in the spring. I have powered it up and gave it a good oiling. Runs good so far.

Hacksaw.JPG

I have been thinking of getting a powered hacksaw. I know I can get a decent industrial machine for about $100 - $200 which by Norwegian prices isn't too bad. The machine I am looking at is about 350 - 400 kg so it is a big beast but I think given the relative simplicity of the machine and the long life of the blades, I think it may be a better buy than a bandsaw.

Paul.

Hi,

I am looking to either build a compact power hacksaw, or keep my eyes out for an old vintage.

Anyone have one they love and want to share comments and pics about? or if you have built one, share the plans?

Thanks,
Merry Christmas,

Ken J
If you look at a site, vintage projects and building plans, go under machine shop plans then power plan 2 , you can find the plan you need. It is a cool site, Chester

I bought one last Spring just because they are cool and I didn't have one.
After a couple months I determined it would not do anything better than my 4x6 Jet bandsaw, and the cut quality wasn't as good. So it found a new home.

Back