Powered Hacksaws

I just bought a power hacksaw (broken main support arm) wilton brand I guess same as vise manufacturer. I am looking for the owners manual if anyone can help? thanks I have been trying to find parts no luck I can make a new part or braze it up haven't decided yet. its not even apart yet. too many at the same time projects. ant one else have this problem yes its slower but I like the nice rhythm noise as it cuts bill

I vote for braze it up and move on. I've owned a couple of power hacksaws, and they all have multiple braze repairs. They work just fine. These little guys take some beating!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Adding a Kasto to the list. A good saw, hydraulic feed, 6 speeds. Even a small one (i.e. 14") is still pretty heavy (~400 lbs). I have a 3 tpi blade on, works well for railroad steel and like thick sections. I understand you can still get them new, crazy expensive.

DSCF2841.JPG

DSCF3007.JPG

Powered hacksaws show up on Craig's List in this area. Right now there are 3. The sellers want a lot - $300 to $600. For less than that I can pick up a used horizontal band saw (or a new HF horiz band saw).

I have a Miller Knuth like in the early photos. It's on my fix it list too. But my list is extra long now. Waiting for spine surgery for months in my bed most of the time. She needs a motor ,, in another shed,, switch wired in the adjuster made and a few other fixes should have cracks brazed or nickel welded. But the cracks underneath out of site. Here lately I've been seeing lots of blades for the power hacksaw real cheap all sizes on eBay . Man I'm tired of living like this I'm losing another whole year due to illness.

Here is my Peerless when I first got it in the spring. I have powered it up and gave it a good oiling. Runs good so far.

View attachment 57234
I have a Peerless just like it, bought it at auction in the late 1960s, the saw frame had been broken and arc welded back together (off kilter); at the time, I was able to buy a new frame and make a good usable machine of it; I sold it years later to a friend who gave it back to me years later. I had bought a Marvel 6A before that, in my opinion, it is the best power hacksaw made; they cut about 1/3 - 1/2 faster than a regular crank type hacksaw, having a quick return motion like a shaper, and a combination of adjustable positive and friction feeds. Since I sold my shop, I am back to using the Peerless, and finally got the down feed adjusted to work as it is supposed to without human intervention; another thing I did to it, was to ream out all the feed ratchet holes and make new oversized pins, this also helped make it operate nicely.

I just bought a power hacksaw (broken main support arm) wilton brand I guess same as vise manufacturer. I am looking for the owners manual if anyone can help? thanks I have been trying to find parts no luck I can make a new part or braze it up haven't decided yet. its not even apart yet. too many at the same time projects. ant one else have this problem yes its slower but I like the nice rhythm noise as it cuts bill
About 2 months ago I was able to call Wilton, in this case for a horizontal band saw that was built in the 1960's?. Was able to talk to a nice lady by the name Mary. Sent model number, descriptions, and pictures via email. She was able to find a paper printed in 1980s that had a list of machines that Wilton no longer supported. Unfortunately, my band saw was on that list. I'm afraid that you may get the same result. By the way, if anyone has any thing on a Wilton Model 3061 horizontal band saw that takes a 52 1/2"blade, I'd sure like to read your comments. It is a nice saw and I use it often. If your saw is of the same quality as mine. I think it would be worth it to fix it.

Back